Hey at least they aren't complaining about the fact that he pronounces names - or riders and places - correctly, like that other guy did. Jonathan Lee is a Level II USA certified cycling coach and the host of the Ask a Cycling Coach podcast. Each episode features interviews with different professional cyclists, team staff and other actors from across the sport. Whether you televise all of it from start to finish is a debate for another day. On the Tour de France, you don't only find professionals in the bunch, as this short clip of the BBC's commentators shows. Usually, I get ill because I'm exhausted, and when you stop, your body just gives up. How about a thread in praise of Rob Hatch? We chose not to publish Stage 10 coverage until an offensive phrase was removed and we apologise to anyone offended during the broadcast. Only in cycling do we have to put up with indecipherable Italian, French and Spanish names of riders and teams! At that point we were worried because it was so new and confusing but we didn't think it would last all year, that there would be a lockdown for months. Cyclist: You seem to be recovering well after coming off your bike a few weeks ago in what your co-commentator Magnus Bckstedt called an NBF: Nothing But Face. You have to have the voice. Decent amount of emotion yesterday - could do with more of that and a few more anecdotes. I was heartened to hear when people didn't actually realise that I was broadcasting from home in Spain. Hopefully they will be doing the Tour as well. So you feel quite a bit of pressure when that happens. That Giro I'm not sure we'll see anything quite like it again. Introducing: Luca Vergallito, winner of the mens Zwift Academy. Rob Hatch: 8/5/2021: Saturday: Giro d'Italia Stage 1: Click here to watch: 12:50: 07:50: 04:50: Rob Hatch, Sean Kelly, Daniel Lloyd. The next morning, the replay was now available, but not the English commentary version. My impression is that Hatch carries out the required role better than the rest of the personnel. I hope we do whether it's Ineos or another team. Everyone did their best and it was great that we could have as many races as we had. He heartily endorses pre-recovery cake as part of riding slowly throughout Europe with Richmond Hill Cycling Club. There was talk of Spain, Ireland and the UK locking down. There was a real will in the industry to make it. We have now completed scheduled maintenance. I mean, the fudge packers were wasting their time.. The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2) - Page 483 Digital Spy Please share any bugs or issues you encounter HERE. Once I moved house in August, I fitted out the studio and tested new programmes with Eurosport and GCN. But there was always the sensation of knowing he was better and waiting for that huge, huge performance from him a lot of people expected it a few years ago as a leader. Cyclist on Twitter: "Rob Hatch is back in our ears commentating the for cycling's biggest show. And they both happened in the one day. In the end, it all paid off for me. The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user. But we are waiting and we desperately hope that something will happen. Ok, I'll accept if he speaks that language he'll do it naturally without thinking, still confusing as I'm having to re learn who's who and what teams are which. Each commentator has their own style and you only have to listen for a few seconds to work out who they are. RH: For me, theres a sort of emergency protocol that subconsciously kicks in. But that wasn't their fault they were using new kind of headset that was extra sensitive. JavaScript is disabled. From what I've read on this forum, some people would pay good money for that, but I'd like to hear Messrs Hatch and Kelly too. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Theyre always paired with an ex-pro to provide the colour commentary, with insights about the racing, learned through their time in the pro ranks. Amstel '19 was one of the greatest-ever races in the history of pro cycling The commentary in the finale from Rob Hatch, however, is also some of the greatest this sport will ever hear The passion & disbelief in his voice will always be associated with this iconic finale #AGR . The Telegraph is a long standing media partner of The Cycling Podcast.[24]. But it was Dennis who really did the damage that ride on the Stelvio physically and psychologically did the damage for the other teams. I knew Id heard the voice before and the photo above gave a little clue. Rob Hatch BikeRadar You need your eyes tested if that's the case. RH: I was really nervous when I started working with him. But you can do yourself a favour thinking of something in advance. I saw Kevin Rza looking quite an alone figure near the front, just a few of his French friends chatting to him. And should it look like an accident? To kick things off, they dusted off their turbo trainers and completed their FTP tests. Create a personalized feed and bookmark your favorites. With pride and bragging rights on the line, theyre taking their training seriously. There was a lot of talk between journalists and ex-riders that it was going to be different, but we didn't know how much. My impression is that Hatch carries out the required role better than the rest of the personnel. On the opposite end of the scale you have Sean Kelly talking about the Tour du Romondia and Primoz Rojlick. Sign Up. I always know when European Cycling season is in full swing because I get so many tweets meant for @robhatchtv #theylovehim #theyhatehim. The week afterwards is always very surreal. Misread thread title. A last-minute plan had to be formulated for. That looks like Stephen Roche! It is Stephen Roche - Cycling Weekly My Eurosport player is transmitting the background sound (crowds cheering, motorbikes accelerating etc) but no commentary. Im genuinely sorry for the language I used, and for letting the team down, but mostly I want to say sorry to anyone who I offended.. All rights reserved. 2. Increased coverage is provided at the Grand Tours (the Giro d'Italia, Tour de France and Vuelta a Espaa) where daily episodes are recorded at the end of each stage. In early 2022, lead presenter Richard Moore died suddenly. Anyone whos watched the Tour Series/Womens Tour/Tour of Britain in person or was at the Harrogate Worlds will have heard Jez on the mic. In 2016, The Cycling Podcast team covered the Giro d'Italia for the first time, thanks to new sponsorship funding from Science in Sport. That's how the cycling season began and abruptly ended for me. But we have to cater pandemic or no pandemic for everybody's tastes and talk about things that even to us may sound basic. I really miss Carlton Kirby, glad he's doing the Tour. I hardly listen to the commentary but I was listening yesterday and am listening today. Weve seen it in so many different areas of sport since competition resumed, and we havent really seen it in cycling. Live Interviews @ Giro d'Italia - Rob Hatch - YouTube It depends. RH: Mathieu van der Poel winning the Amstel Gold Race was the moment of the season. Monumental Mohori. Off the back of two Grand Tours and the Worlds, everything was a bit of a blur. Every single bike race we watch has some commentator giving their spin on the action. Here, in an interview with Felix Lowe from his studio in Sller, Rob discusses the early warning signs of the pandemic, his experiences in lockdown and the season re-start. "Form of his life" and "ride of the century" for every moderately good performance. Sorry, Declan Quigley is not a good listen. As of today, the hosts are two weeks into their training plans and already seeing improvements in their fitness. Cyc: During a six-hour stage you will often repeat yourself. What does it pay? Monumental Mohori. The Cycling Media Awards Best Podcast 2016. It was shortlisted for Irish Sports Book of the Year. Then it became serious, very, very serious. The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network. I have seen him defending these garbled pronunciations as 'respect', how about some respect for paying viewers! The way it was this year, we decided early on to be honest with people, instead of trying to maintain the illusion that we were in France or at least actually all together. 04611236. I unintentionally used an offensive phrase during my commentary on Stage 10, and I regret both saying it and not immediately apologising on air, McEwen said. Blazin' Saddles: The stand-out cycling moments of 2020, Blazin' Saddles: The top 10 riders of the 2020 cycling season, Blazin' Saddles: The riders who must do better in 2021, Blazin' Saddles Winners and losers of the 2020 Tour de France, Exciting, exhilarating and unpredictable: Cycling produces spectacular season. But there's a lot more behind the scenes. Currently, Moore, Birnie and Hatch are working through TrainerRoads Sweet Spot Base and Pursuit training plans to prepare for their big event. I came back to Spain for a few days, then went to London for Paris-Nice. Things I find annoying about Rob Hatch "Dear oh Dear oh Dear!" Hatch is often on the biggest races and usually covers the race finishes too. Leading journalists reported news of an expected stance, with Orla Chennoui saying: I understand the peloton will make some sort of gesture today against racism. Hatch and Kelly are a good combination. He is now a consultant for high-profile teams like Canyon SRAM and the Danish national track team. I actually reckon my accent has got broader since I moved away. I needed a new internet connection. She brings insider knowledge of the womens peloton to the race commentary. It features my chat with the voice of cycling, Eurosport and GCN commentator Rob Hatch. And I wonder how they say Chris Froome back home! A recent addition to the Eurosport team and the only female lead commentator (even if the name catches plenty out on Twitter). So I do like being there, even if the travelling is tiring and you do want a break. Giro d'Italia 2021: English-language commentary team & start times But given the situation the world was it, we were extremely lucky to be able to do some work, so that's not something I'd complain about. Did you know that the 2020 Giro had 17 "Ride of the Century"s? But in those cases I think they should try to learn it for the next race he or she competes in. Football, Volleyball, Cycling & more. She retired from racing in 2018 whilst at WNT and transitioned to a Marketing/PR role for the team. What were these guys doing racing? I haven't done much writing in English. It may not display this or other websites correctly. However, for the Tour, nobody expected what happened. So Ill tell you again whos in the breakaway, reiterating how many kilometres to go, what the gap is. In terms of the Grand Tours, I'd like them to all stay three weeks. In terms of technique, those bits of commentary were the starting points for me. Going on-site at the Tour had been ruled out: too complicated and too risky. His latest cycling book, tape: the untold stories of the Tour de Frances defining stages, was published last June. After training as a journalist he spent five years working for a local newspaper before joining Cycling Weekly in 1998. I would say that, in terms of the calendar, I was actually quite disappointed. Because that's the kind of race that forms a season within a season. Nothing has happened so far.. Yes. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. And the other was just before that, when Katarzyna Niewiadoma won. Tour de France 2016: Desk collapses during stage four commentary We got to May and there was talk of things maybe starting up again. See more Rob Hatch. It was just an unfortunate product of it. I wrote it immediately after the Giro the week after, when it was all still fresh. Felix Lowe hooked up with Hatch for a chat about the. 'A natural born superstar' - Rob Hatch hails Biniam Girmay Eurosport pundit and commentator Rob Hatch gives his thoughts on Biniam Girmay's incredible win. Tour de France riders were expected to show solidarity with anti-racism messages at the start of the final stage of the Tour de France on Sunday, but the paucity of the gesture was striking. Is that it, asked Rob Hatch. Past sponsors include Allpress Espresso, HumansInvent.com, Sharp, Van Dessel Cycles, British Eurosport, Nederburg Wines, Jaguar, Wellbrix and Hansgrohe showers and taps. Im not a huge fan. "We chose not to publish Stage 10 coverage until an offensive phrase was removed and we apologise to anyone offended during. Hatch then shared an anecdote about how he and Kelly had spotted a fudge shop on their way back to the studio and how hed eaten the majority of it before their return to commentary duties. And I needed to move into a bigger house to accommodate it all. It's understandable when you're watching something, you want it to be perfect, especially if you've been waiting for so long. "Cycling is a sport for all & everyone should feel welcome," GCN said. Voiceover artist in 4 languages. It was shortlisted for Irish Sports Book of the Year. Sometimes you have ideas in your head. If youre editing highlights, its the perfect place to come back in. How is it, the whole of the winter sports on Eurosport, the commentators managed to pronounce all of the European names without having to resort to OTT pronunciations?? It's something you have to work on. Spanish cycling journalist and communications manager for Lizarte, Fran Reyes provides insight during the Vuelta a Espaa coverage. Would we be stuck in hotels? If London was going to be behind the curve coming out of lockdown, then we had to be ready to work on those other races which were happening before the Tour, but maybe remotely, because we knew travel could be complicated. Are you following The Telegraph Cycling Podcast? Watch Results Snooker Cycling Football . Although Rob Hatch's knowledge of cycling seems good, his insistence of pronouncing every foreign word in the right dialect annoys me. Oh he's so so so much more pleasant than Kirby. Call him Ni-ba-li, Niba-li, whatever you want to, but why should I say it wrong? Everybody was there at the start with the public around them, what an image that would have been in Mantes la Jolie. Rob Hatch Retweeted. He inspires such devotion that he has his own fan club, yet also is on the receiving end of a petition to get him sacked. And I'd say he pronounced 'Fribourg' pretty much like I'd have expected: Cyclist: You seem to be recovering well after coming off your bike a few weeks ago in what your co-commentator. I was lucky to do my work experience at Eurosport News. Rob Hatch and Dan Lloyd react to the underwhelming promised display of solidarity with anti-racism sentiments at the start of the final stage of the Tour. Stage start times and our English-language commentary team each day are listed below. In fact, it was quite hard to keep down to the power numbers and cadence required. 61 posts. English & Spanish (bilingual with regional accents) as well as Italian & French (fluent). Hatch now has at least two angry threads about him, maybe only Armstrong had more in this forum, more than a decade ago. And because of that you might come across less ignorant to local people. Will someone please shut Rob Hatch up!! | Cyclingnews Forum For anyone who knows me, I'm not particularly attached to a flag or a nation. I felt guilty not sitting in front of my computer, not watching. Although a bit too excitable at times, his in-depth knowledge of riders and races exceeds all the other GCN-commentators, so a vital part alongside the ex-riders. Were not happy about it and we understand what youre thinking at home. Nothing wrong in commenting on that - it's a discussion forum after all. RH: Brexiters are the ones who give me crap on Twitter, about saying peoples names with the correct foreign pronunciation.