Also at Okains Bay is Tini Arapata marae. Of those at least 15 years old, 51 (14.4%) people had a bachelor's or higher degree, and 75 (21.2%) people had no formal qualifications. Students express themselves well in te reo Mori particularly in oral and written language. Christchurch 8011, URL: https://www.ara.ac.nz/study-options/our-study-interest-areas/maori-and-pasifika/te-puna-wanaka-a-special-place. Moet Haang Ngwai was born on 5 May 1910 at Enihau, her family's home, a mile north of the East Coast township of Tokomaru Bay. [13], Mata School, located inland from Tokomaru Bay, is a Year 18 state primary school[14] with a roll of 4. Tokomaru is where I am from Option Two - use this if you wish to acknowledge local landmarks (land and water) in the region you grew up in or you live in. Ka rongo ng konga i ng tauira papai o te reo Mori kawa, paki hoki, tae atu ki ng tmomo reo -iwi. Kua tutuhia e te whnau ng whanga e whai ake nei, hei huatanga whakawhanaketanga: E whanake tonu ana te aromtai o roto. Ko Mangahauini te awa Check it out: Tokomaru Bay's 8km of pristine coastline is one of the most beautiful beaches on Earth. He hihiri, he whakaongaonga hoki ng taiao ako, , ka tino hpai i te ako a ng konga. Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga Invercargills Te Wharepuni o Anehana to the New Zealand Heritage List as a Whi Tpuna. A new Tumuaki was appointed in 2016. Can you please call 09 827 6050 to discuss ? Share your news with the Iwi here. It is scenic, but there are many better bays on the East Coast. It is a Te Aho Matua kura. Contact us, Whats happening within the Ngati Porou community. Staff and students have good relationships with each other. Statistics New Zealand describes Tokomaru Bay as a rural settlement, which covers 8.38km2 (3.24sqmi). Ko Mangahauini me Waiotu awa Students are developing an enjoyment for learning. Prince Tui Teka (Thoe) was born in Ruatahuna in the Ureweras on 8 March 1937 and had a musical childhood. Ka whakapmau ng kaiako i aua huatanga katoa hei hpai i ng taunekeneke me te whakawhanaungatanga o ng konga ki waenga i a rtou an. Ka akiaki ng kaiako i ng konga ki te whakatakoto i rtou ake whinga ako. Mhina-a-rangi and Trongo The KingitangaLink, Te Aotwarirangi and the Battle of Toiroa, Te Wahineiti Descendants of the Lesser Wife. The seven-kilometre wide bay is small but sheltered, and was a calling place for passenger ships until the early 20th century. TAUA,Tukaki Whare Paikea. Firstly there is no reason to visit Tokomaru Bay. TAUA,Tukaki Whare E whakawhanake ana te ngkau nui o ng konga ki te ako. Whanau and Hapu development Donec gravida mi a condimentum rutrum. He pakari ng konga, , e mhio ana hoki kei te tautokona rtou. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ko tahi o ng whai whitanga e hpai ana i ng konga, ko ng huihuinga ki te marae, ko te whai whi atu ki ng kaupapa i te hapori, me te whakawhanaunga hoki ki te taha o tahi atu kura auraki, kura kaupapa Mori hoki. Since the previous ERO report, 2014, there have been significant changes. Students experience success. Students are eager to learn. Phone: 03 466 7919 Recognising Tuatini as our principle home. Ka whai whi atu ng konga ki ng tmomo htaka e hpai ana i a rtou ki te manaaki i te taiao. Tokomaru Bay's population is predominantly Mori, with the area being a stronghold for the Ngti Porou iwi. Ko ng whakaaturanga ptaiao e tohu ana i te kaha o ng konga ki te whakamrama i rtou kaupapa mahi m te reo Mori ki rtou hoa, ki ng pkeke hoki. Information technology (IT) is used to help students share their learning with kaiako and whnau. Dairying Heritage Research Students have a strong sense of wellbeing and demonstrate respect for themselves and others. Students are involved in a wide range of reo Mori activities and experiences. Ph: 03 214 1076. The two hapu share the same gene logical basis, and geographical area. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. This small idyllic bay is surrounded by forest and coastal bush and the perfect spot to swim and surf. Local history and family research. Students participate in a variety of learning experiences. Kua piki ake te tatauranga tamariki n te hokihoki mai o tahi whnau ki Tokomaru, whai muri i t rtou uru tuatahi k ki te mtauranga auraki. Students are confident and know they are supported. Tenters have a panoramic knoll (astonishing views) on which to pitch.". New Zealand. Sources of pride: The people are friendly and the coastline is captivating. Kua whakawhanakehia e ng kaiako ng htaka akoranga e toro atu ana ki tua atu i te kura. An able hockey player, after she left school she played for the Marotiri team at Tokomaru Bay and competed in tournaments around the North Island. emotional safety of students (including prevention of bullying and sexual harassment), stand-downs, suspensions, expulsions and exclusions, Develop and implement appraisal for all staff. He was a kaiwhina for many years before completing teacher training. The board of trustees govern the kura well and fulfil their responsibilities and obligations. He also moved into film and television work. 30 people (8.5%) earned over $70,000 compared to 17.2% nationally. Source: New Zealand On Air https://www.nzonscreen.com/person/prince-tui-teka/biography. Ngati Tama is my tribe. This . A combination of all I suspect, but who am I to judge? The community-led development mahi that is done in this place is underpinned by a commitment to honour its history and to serve its future generations. Tahu-ptiki and the Expansion of NgiTahu, Te Toki-a-Tpiri Sacred War Canoe ofMatawhiti. There is a large, comfortable, warm family living area to relax in with three tastefully decorated bedrooms. Whats the latest news with you? Ka kitea te piki haere o ng mhiotanga o ng konga ki ng taonga tturu o te kau o Tokomaru. An online programme has been introduced to assist students to gather evidence and monitor their learning progress. Tui Teka also had a small role in boy-and-a-turtle tale The Silent One (1984). He kept his new act on the road, traveling with a convoy of cars, trucks and caravans around the fairs and showgrounds. To read more about Te Whanau a Ruataupare click here. Some of these share very similar whakairo figures to those at Te Wharepuni o Anehana. Work has finally started to restore the old wharf at Tokomaru Bay on the East Cape. The descendants of Ruataupare and Te Aotwarirangi continue to display the same resilience and resolve as their tipuna (ancestors). The kura community is very supportive of each other. They have visited special places in their area and know the significance of this as their trangawaewae. Ko ttahi kkiritanga -kura, ko Kaitiakitanga oranga o te tamaiti, , e hpai ana tnei i te whakawhanaketanga o te katoa o te konga. N tnei thuatanga kua pup ake te reo Pkeh i te kura. There were 348 households, comprising 504 males and 450 females, giving a sex ratio of 1.12 males per female. A guide to understand the process to ratify the amenements to the Nga Hapu o Ngati Porou Foreshore and Seabed Deed of Agreement 2008. Te Kura Kaupapa Mori o Ng Taonga Tturu ki Tokomaru is in Tokomaru Bay, north of Gisborne. Kua whakapuakihia e ng kaiako ttahi htaka e hpai ana i te ako -ipurangi. A typical ad promised, enchanting music, exotic island dances, wonderful singing and a fast moving comedy show, and he kept his tent full day after day. Ahakoa ka whina rtou ki te kura, me whai whakaaro hoki rtou ki te whakapiki ake i t rtou tautoko o ng kaimahi me ng konga, m te ta whai whi atu ki tahi atu an kaupapa ai i te kura. He nui ng tmanako kia eke angitu ng konga. The whnau are descendants of Te Whnau a Ruataupare and Te Ao Tawirirangi. Do you have a Nati Story to share about our whanau, hapu, Iwi? He is a first time principal, who is learning about his leadership and management responsibilities. A lovely DoC walk in Anaura Bay goes towards Gisborne. After a six year recording break Tui signed with major label RCA and returned to the charts with E Ipo, a song Ngoi Pewhairangi wrote for him to woo beloved wife and singing partner Missy, who he married in 1976. Students embrace digital technology and use it confidently. prince george's county town hall meeting; baptist church long beach; why is it important to learn about serial killers He nui te maioha o ng konga ki ng pmanawa me ng pkenga o ng tngata rongonui me ng kaiako o t rtou hapori, o whi k hoki. And for those who do remain or return, there is always the iconic kapahaka group, Te Hokowhitu-a-T. Husband of Ngahuia (Missy) Teka Ko t te whnau tirohanga, he whakapmau i ng tikanga o te hap me te iwi. Tokomaru Bay is a small beachside community located on the isolated East Coast of New Zealand's North Island. Opportunities to support students include events on marae, participation in community activities and exchanges with local schools and kura. 69 people (9.2%) earned over $70,000 compared to 17.2% nationally. There are many opportunities for students to actively participate in events in the wider community. Captain Cook spent time here on his 1769 journey of discovery, and later European settlement included a whaling station. There is regular reporting to the board and to whanau. Whnau expertise is an important part of learning and teaching for students. Tokomaru Bay is a small beachside community located on the isolated East Coast of New Zealand's North Island. So what makes Toko tick the water, the kaimoana (seafood), the people perhaps? Me whakawhanake tonu ng kaiako, hei ta whakarite i te whakamahinga o taua rautaki, puta noa i te kura. The revitalisation and maintenance of te reo me ng tikanga o Ngti Porou is a prominent focus for whnau and the wider kura whnau. Kua whakapuakihia ttahi htaka -ipurangi, hei hpai i ng konga ki te whakaemi i ng whakaaturanga, me te aroturuki hoki i t rtou ake ahu whakamua i roto i ng akoranga. Learning environments are vibrant and stimulating and effectively support student learning. Developing and implementing programmes that respond to gender specific learning needs. The proficiency of kaumtua, kaimahi and whnau contribute to the language growth and development of students. Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana Kaupapa) Your customary rights to your resource (kai, marine biology, Ministry of Primary Industries, Rahui, current & future Takutai Moana management) 2. Try riding along the beach with Tokomaru Horse Treks, and be sure to climb Mt Hikurangi. Ka akiaki rtou i ng konga ki te thura i ng pou whenua motuhake o te hapori, , e mhio whnuitia ana aua whi m te kaimoana me ng tmomo harakeke, , ko tahi atu he whi tapu. whakawhanake me te whakatinana i ng kaupapa here me ng tukanga e p ana ki te whakahaeretanga o ng kaimahi, me ng mahi arohaehae, whakawhanake i ttahi mahere rautaki e whakatakoto ana i t rtou huarahi ki te whakatinana i ng Aratohu Mtauranga -Motu m ng kaupapa here, ng mahere, me ng htaka, tae atu hoki ki r e whai pnga ana ki te marautanga, te aromatawai, me te whakawhanaketanga ngaio o ng kaimahi. Ko te riterite o te arotake whaiaro e arotahi ana ki te ahu whakamua a ng konga, me te whakatairanga ake i ng paetae konga. Students respect kaumtua and kuia as well as each other. "3100 jobs created through marae upgrades", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_marae_in_the_Gisborne_District&oldid=1128276774, Buildings and structures in the Gisborne District, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in New Zealand English, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 19 December 2022, at 09:04. Ka whakapuaki ng konga i ng taumahi m ng ataata, ng whakaahua, me ng tauira tuhituhi. The two hapu or sub-tribes that reside in Tokomaru Bay . The number of New Zealanders who've never visited is astonishing because when people get there, they wonder what took them so long. Catholic Maori Community of Invercargill Marae. Ka mahi ngtahi ng kaiako me te whnau ki te whakawhanake i rtou kawenga rahi. He kura Te Aho Matua tnei. He pai te whanaungatanga ki waenga i ng kaimahi me ng konga. Kia ora Julia, our website does not take bookings for the marae. This small idyllic bay is surrounded by forest and coastal bush and the perfect spot to swim and surf. As well as variety shows he acted in partly Kiwi-shot mini-series Jack Holborn (1982), and played the king of a mythical Pacific Island in big-budget Tommy Lee Jones swashbuckler Savage Islands (1983). In the 1970s, Teka performed solo in Sydney and Southeast Asian clubs, his extravagant stage wardrobe including rhinestone jackets and embroidered skirts cut for his one hundred and forty kilogram frame. TKKM o Tokomaru is located in the small, rural community of Tokomaru Bay, East Coast. By 1981 he had returned to Tokomaru Bay, and became a household name during the next year with 'E Ipo', and two albums with Teka originals including 'Real Love' and 'Oh Mum'. People may identify with more than one ethnicity. Whakapono, aroha and manaakitanga underpin the kura beliefs, values and practices. He was the ultimate showband performer, able to play a multitude of instruments, act, and sing anything from country and western and rock'n'roll to love ballads and waiata, interspersed with side-splitting comedy. These talents and skills are beginning to emerge in students. E mhiotia ana ng konga n t rtou eke angitu. Share your news with the Iwi here. School rolls are as of February 2023.[19]. Te Kura Kaupapa Mori o Ng Taonga Tturu ki Tokomaru is in Tokomaru Bay, north of Gisborne. Te Waha o Rerekohu A Hungry Mouth ToFeed? Itiiti rearea, teitei kahikatea ka taea - Although the rearea is small it can ascend the lofty heights of the Kahikatea tree The median age was 43.6 years (compared with 37.4 years nationally), with 207 people (21.7%) aged under 15 years, 156 (16.4%) aged 15 to 29, 417 (43.7%) aged 30 to 64, and 174 (18.2%) aged 65 or older. Establishing relationships, ancestral links to the hap and iwi are integral to living in Tokomaru. Before the evaluation, the board of trustees and principal completed the ERO Whnau Assurance Statement and Self-Audit Checklists. [8][9], Hatea-A-Rangi Memorial Park is Tokomaru Bay's sports ground and local park. Kumara-pit Incident Leads to the Fall of Rkau-puhi andUephatu, Te Rkau i Mataahu The Flagstaff atMataahu, Rkairoa ki Harataunga The CoromandelLink. The dawn will melt your heart. Whai whi atu ai te whnau ki te kura i ia te w. The town's modern economy is mainly based on agriculture and forestry, with some tourism. Best view: Mt Hikurangi is the first place in New Zealand to see the sun and at 1754m it's also the North Island's highest non-volcanic mountain. Extent of List Entry. Most students show they are developing an awareness of their whnau hopes and aspirations. He htaka akoranga t ng kaiako e hpai ana i te mramatanga o ng konga ki te tirohanga Mori ki te ao. Ahakoa he matatau ng kaiako ki te krero i te reo o Ngti Porou, he pai k ki ng konga puta noa i te kura, ki te whakapuaki whakaaro m te reo Pkeh. Developing strategies to support student transition from English medium to immersion education. Prince Tui Teka died of a heart attack during a performance in the Ruawai Tavern in Northland in 1985. Whats your whakaaro on the latest news or kaupapa? Kei te whitia koe ko Kahutia-te-rangi - aue LOOKING down from the top of Busbys Hill, the magnificence of Tokomaru spreads majestically before you. From the Gisborne District Cemetery records we see he is buried in plot TKH 100 Tokomaru Bay Cemetery which we presume is a public cemetery, and not a Marae Urupo. "Statistical area 1 dataset for 2018 Census", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tokomaru_Bay&oldid=1148618864, Populated places in the Gisborne District, Short description is different from Wikidata, Use New Zealand English from January 2021, All Wikipedia articles written in New Zealand English, Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 7 April 2023, at 08:24. Ka hngai tonu ng taumahi ako ki ng wheako tturu i te marae me te thura haere i te taiao ake, te taetae atu hoki ki ng kaupapa -rohe, me te whai whi atu ki ng kaupapa -motu. The putaiao fair shows the extent to which students are able to describe their projects in te reo Mori to their peers and adults. Kua whakaritea e ng kaiako ng wnanga m muri i te kura i roto i te pngarau me te pnui, , ka t nei ki te marae ki te taha tonu o te whnau, ng kaumtua, me ng kuia, hei hpai ake i te ako a ng konga. N te tau 2016 ttahi tumuaki hou i whakatngia ai. Tene Waitere worked on several meeting houses around Taup and Rotorua along with other expert carvers like Anaha Te Rahui and Neke Kapua. He is particularly attracted to compelling indigenous stories that critique and celebrate the human condition. His mother played mouth organ and clarinet and his father was a saxophonist with a bush band deep in the heart of Thoe country. Provide a programme of support for the Tumuaki about his leadership and management responsibilities. Since 1873, Te Puka Tavern has been a welcoming sight for travellers looking for some delicious food and accommodation with the most beautiful views. Students are developing in confidence and self esteem. About a 90-minute drive from central Gisborne, Anaura Bay is a picture-perfect beach paradise. He kura Te Aho Matua tnei e whngai ana i te mtauranga ki ng konga o ng tau 1 ki te 8. Rehua Marae Students attend local hui and events within the local and wider community. The floor is a traditional earth floor. The study examines the identity of these people as given in their history. Khore te mtauranga wharekura e whakarato tonuhia ana. He tokomaha hoki ng kaitiaki o te poari e noho hou ana ki rtou tnga kwana. (Insert greeting if starting here) Kei city/region where you live ahau e noho ana tipu ake ahau ki city/region Me mihi ka tika ki name of region "It scores the awards for views, eco-loos and free Wi-Fi. Most of the new carving were undertaken by master carver John Rua (Ngi Thoe). Ko Mangahauini te awa Ahakoa ka whakaemihia ng mhiohio aromatawai hei tutu i ng matea o ia konga me ia rp, me ta titiro tonu ki te mhiotanga o ng kaiako ki te waihanga i ng htaka akoranga e aro nui ana ki te konga. The employment status of those at least 15 was that 297 (39.8%) people were employed full-time, 102 (13.7%) were part-time, and 51 (6.8%) were unemployed. Richmond, The whanau provide a unique education that reflects the distinctive values and beliefs of Ng Tturu o Tokomaru. He wero tnei e whai pnga ana ki te kura whnui. Whakakau Paikea - Hei Whakakau he tipua - Hei Whakakau he taniwha - Hei Ka Paikea ki Ahuahu Pakia. Whaakata marae was built on site at Okains Bay , using original materials and taonga from other whare. Our ANZAC committee are keen to learn more about a Tokomaru Bay born and buried man P. Tewai who's name the community placed upon their Obelisk / Cenotaph which was unveiled on October 16th 1918, three weeks before the Armistice signing. Hkatere Marae http://hakateremarae.weebly.com/hakatere.html My kuia was Betty Bartlett nee Matehe- Hikihiki Matehe were my grand and great grand mothers. Koia nei te w tuatahi kua t te tumuaki hei tumuaki whakaako, , he hou ki a ia tna tranga rahi. The whnau have identified that the following are their next steps for development: Internal evaluation is developing. Me ta whakarite te poari ki te ta whakarato i te tautoko ngaio mna, hei whakapakari ake i tna mhiotanga me tna whakatinanatanga pkenga ki te kura whnui. It was named by Aunty Jane Manahi for her mum Tini Arapata Horau. Students are eager to learn about te ao Mori and the wider world. Tui Teka refined his talents at local woolshed dances as a teenager before joining a circus in the early 1950's, which took him across the Tasman. The tumuaki is a first time teaching principal who is new to his leadership role. Te toro atu ki te tautoko o waho m te tumuaki, hei whakapiki ake i tna mhiotanga ki na kawenga mahi ki te rahi me te whakahaere. Ka prongo atu ki te poari, ki te whnau hoki i ia te w. He pai te mahi ngtahi a ng kaimahi, , he nui noa atu t rtou whakatutuki i rtou tranga, rtou kawenga mahi hoki ki tn e tmanakohia ana. Welcome to Te Poutapeta/The Post Office, a Historic Places Trust listed building situated in a delightful Maori seaside village. A transition programme to support students from English medium into an immersion setting. He would stand up in front of crowds, flashing a toothy grin, swaying and shimmying his oversized body in rhinestone jackets and custom-made embroidered shirts as he threw tongue-in-cheek quips to the audience. Her first language was Mori but she quickly acquired literacy in English and attended Hukarere Mori Girls' School in Napier from 1938 to 1941. Rakaia Highway, (LogOut/ Situated only 50 metres from the beach, our quality home is fully self-contained. Staff work well as a team and fulfil their roles and responsibilities beyond what is expected of them. Te Kani-a-Takirau is the paramount chief The pepeha or tribal saying that introduces this article belongs to the Te Aitanga-a-Hauiti (the descendants of Hauiti) people of Uawa-nui-a-Ruamatua or Tolaga Bay, a small township located 56 kilometres north of Gisborne ( Fig. Ng prongo o mua a Te Tari Arotake Mtauranga. Early Pioneer Research There are about 80 marae (Mori meeting grounds) in the Gisborne District of New Zealand. Students hear the language during formal occasions on the marae including waiata mteatea. Students show respect for their immediate and wider community by undertaking kaitiaki roles particularly for special places around their akau. He was survived by daughters Davinia and Missy Jnr and his wife Missy, who died in 2008. E whakarato ana te whnau i ttahi mtauranga motuhake e hngai ana ki ng tino uaratanga, ng tino whakapono hoki o Ng Tturu o Tokomaru. Students and staff have good working relationships. Ka kitea te whakaute o ng konga m t rtou hapori ake, m te hapori whnui hoki, n t rtou t ki te mahi hei kaitiaki m tahi tino whi, huri noa i t rtou kau. They learn about the protection and conservation of resources. Kei te eke angitu ng konga, , he manawa whakah t rtou ki rtou whakatutukitanga. Please enable JavaScript in your browser's settings to use this part of Geni. admin@teaitarakihi.co.nz, Te Hono o Te Ika a Mui ki Ngi Tahu Blampied Street, Mataura, 24 Shetland St,Wakari, Committed staff support students in their learning. Join the club: Te Puia Golf Course has spectacular sea views over Waipiro Bay. They are immersed in te reo me ng tikanga o Ngti Porou. whakapmau i te haere tonutanga o ttahi htaka arotake whaiaro e whai pnga ana ki ng kaupapa here, ng mahere, me ng htaka kei runga ake nei, tae atu hoki ki ng mhiohio aromtai e p ana ki ng paetae konga. ng whakahaere m te hauora, te haumaru, me te oranga tinana, te haumaru aronganui o ng konga (tpiri atu ki te rai i ng mahi whakawetiweti me ng mahi whakaaito), te whakaunu, te aukati, te pana me te whakarerenga. Kaiako have organised after kura wnanga pngarau and pnui on local marae involving whnau, kaumtua and kuia to support student learning. They are aware of the impact this has on future generations. If information about your marae needs to be updated, corrected or added to, please contact us here atngatiporou.com. Ka noho hihiri ng konga ki te ako. Ka whakaemi pakihia ng mhiohio. From Country Life, 9:28 pm on 11 December 2020. (p. 1) The relationship between land and sea is full of stories, and like the moving tide there are many points of entry. The Hauhau had killed the Reverend Carl Vlkner in 1865 and were moving into the territory to spread their form of religious fervour, Pai Mrire. These opportunities assist kaiako to develop a curriculum to make learning relevant for students. I mua atu i te whakahaerenga o te arotake i whakatutukihia e te whnau me te tumuaki he Tauki Kupu Tturu a te whnau m te Tari Arotake Mtauranga, me ttahi Rrangi Arowhai Ttari Whaiaro. Students acknowledge the complexities and magnificence of the physical and natural worlds. (LogOut/ Prince Tui Teka passed away on 23 January 1985. E whakawhanake ana te mhiotanga o ng konga ki te whnau, te hap, me te iwi. Best food: Choose between the Kai Cart, the local takeaways and the pub. Kia ora Allan, The board must ensure that they provide him with professional support to strengthen his knowledge and application in a kura setting. Tokomaru statistical area covers 1,144.93km2 (442.06sqmi)[1] and had an estimated population of 1,070 as of June 2022,[6] with a population density of 0.93 people per km2. Tui Teka, or Tui Latui as he sometimes billed himself, was born on March 8, 1937 in Ruatahuna, a small Urewera settlement on the unsealed road between Wai-O-Tapu and Wairoa. There were 162 households, comprising 228 males and 219 females, giving a sex ratio of 1.04 males per female, with 90 people (20.3%) aged under 15 years, 66 (14.9%) aged 15 to 29, 192 (43.2%) aged 30 to 64, and 90 (20.3%) aged 65 or older. kathy ann jewell and john branden,