Simeon's boys' basketball team was ranked first in the United States in ESPN H.S. Because I know this time Ive got to stay sharp, stay in the gym and perfecting my game for that moment.. Helped the Zags to the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight in back-to-back seasons. We were signing autographs and posing for selfies with people in the airport. For UNC basketballs two-man class, both players landed in the top 100. But its still a trendsetter as it turns 50 this week. I personally remember several talks with Smith over the past year or two where he would openly discuss how he personally found other interests, outside of basketball, during the down time of Covid. Rice, Kendrick Baker, Gregg Fitness and Sports Academy in Chicago on Jan. 31, 2023. Team uniforms are about $80 which are reusable each 3. This retirement is about all that Smith has meant to the sport and, specifically, Public League basketball. After starter Kenta Maeda lasted just two innings in Friday's 3-2 loss to Washington in the series opener while battling an ankle injury, the Twins summoned He was a joy to be around. 2023 No. You should know: Norvell hopes to play again after getting his degree in sports management from Gonzaga and recovering from knee surgery. During that time the Wolverines had 262 wins against 130 losses. As the 2023 class winds down its high school year, the final class rankings have started to come out. Rubins brother, Wesley, added 13 points, eight rebounds and three steals. He said he is being picky about going to the right situation. I did finish playing ball, but Im still striving to move forward and do big and great things. Academic Year Hometown / High School; 1: Jaylon Tate: G: 6-3: Fr. He loves Simeon so much. 25 worn by Ben Wilson and Derrick Rose", "Simeon wears Ben Wilson shoes to honor fallen legend", "2004 Chicago Tribune All-State Team (H.S. Regardless of who takes the final two spots, at the moment, it appears that UNC basketball has gotten better this off-season. (Dylan Buell/Getty). Nickname:Sim Fax. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images). 2 recruit Holland decommits from Texas. And as I got older, I just appreciated and accepted my journey and where Im at today. [25], In 2013, Parker led them to another state championship when they defeated Stevenson High School. Seeing guys like that, thats all the motivation I really need. Career highlights: Four-time state champion with Simeon. WebThe Bay State Magic is one of the premier boys AAU basketball programs in the northeast. Colbert, Nnanna (Terrence Antonio James / Chicago Tribune), College: Wabash Valley, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. You can be smart, you can be cool, you can be an athlete, - Sheldon D. House, Simeon principal. Simeon coach Robert Smith cheers his team on against Curie in 2018. I feel like they went through it, got through it and got to where they wanted to go. Simeon Wilcher finished at No. Hopefully this upcoming year we can get more players and more people in our stuff. There was no arguing about it., Simeon's Saieed Ivey makes a pass against Marist during a regional final at Mount Carmel High School in Chicago on March 1, 2013. Began his career as an assistant under coach Bob Hambric. Men's college basketball rosters: Comings and goings for 2023-24. And not taking anything away from Derrick and Jabari, but they were phenoms, top-five kids in the country. You should know: Smith will retire from coaching after this season and will hand the reins over to assistant coach Tim Flowers. Playing for Smith and Simeon absolutely means something to the players in this program, both present and past. He traces his desire to see the world back to his freshman year, when the Simeon team traveled the United States Nevada, Texas, West Virginia, Massachusetts and Tennessee to play against the top high school teams in the country. Adams State University assistant coach Rickey Norris, right, works a game in Alamosa, Colorado. I realize now that its not your typical high school experience., Illinois guard D.J. The UNC Basketball program has seen significant changes to its roster over the last month but still has several decisions to be made. There are no statistics available for this player. I love pressure and I love performing under pressure. North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Illinois Fighting Illini men's basketball, "Simeon's Electricity Program Reinstated", Chicago Sun-times, Strike suspended, so CPS football teams can play in state playoffs, All of the Public League football teams that qualified for the state playoffs endured a stressful, confusing two weeks, By Michael O'Brien@michaelsobrien Oct 31, 2019, 1:25pm CDT, "Institution Summary for Simeon Vocational High School", "Simeon Career Academy: Neal F. Simeon Bio", "Simeon Career Academy: Our School History", "Career & Technical Education Department (CTE)", "Powerhouse High Schools That Keep Making Pros", "Leroy Franklin, Longtime Simeon H.S. TicketSmarter - Official Ticket Resale Marketplace. I loved every bit of it, he said. Williams II, Isaiah Allen Cunningham/For the Sun-Times In 2013, ESPN.com ranked him the ninth best player out of the state of Illinois and the 42nd-best small forward in the country. Simeon coach Robert Smith carries the state championship trophy at a pep rally in 2011. Simeon is well known in the Chicago area as a high school sports powerhouse. The 6864 win over far South Side rival Morgan Park High School is their eight-city championship. I think what our team has shown is theres excellence in the hood. 12) Previous ranking: 6 Dan Hurley and his staff did their work early in the 2023 class, securing five commitments before the end of September. After moves over the past month, analyst John Rothstein has updated his top 45 rankings to reflect those moves. Boys Basketball *Corey Bradford. 1986King 49, Simeon 46 1985Simeon 65, Carver 54 1984Simeon 44, Robeson 42 1983Marshall 67, Collins 62, 2 OT 1982Marshall 58, Crane 48 1981Westinghouse 79, Marshall 66 1980Manley 67, Collins 55 1979Manley 88, Westinghouse 83, 2 OT 1978Westinghouse 71, Manley 68 1977Phillips 77, (Terrence Antonio James / Chicago Tribune). Anschuetz. Watching them all grow up as kids, seeing the hard work they have put in and to reach their dreams? Transferred to DePaul to be close to home in winter of his 2020 season and played in 11 games. Nunn, Austin [30] The Simeon boys basketball team starts season ranked number one in their conference. Career highlights: Was a starter on the 2013 Simeon state championship team. Played two years at Wabash Valley College, earning first-team all-region and first-team all-conference accolades in 2018-19. He said it: Once I was truly able to get past that mental part and say, You know what if I miss I miss, I dont even care if I score, Im just going to just go kill people I was a completely different person on the court. The Boston Bruins set the NHL's single-season record for wins. Was the NBL Canada Rookie of the Year in 2017-18. Barnes, Jett And Im sure glad he did. Chicago State center Quron Davis, right, looks to pass as DePaul guard Eli Cain defends at Allstate Arena, Dec. 5, 2015, in Rosemont. Top commit: PG Stephon Castle (No. So I definitely was a sponge there from a younger player in this league perspective. You should know: Harris was on the floor when the buzzer sounded and Simeon won its fourth consecutive state title. Simeon was always a great reminder that keeping it simple and structured can lead to high-level success. I dont think anyone would have picked me to become a coach when I was at Simeon, he said. Brittney Griner needs time to return to an elite level physically, but her familiar sense of levity Thursday seemed to indicate she is back in spirit as well as in body. Whats next? It motivates me, like, man I have to play hard. Moline Maroons. I still watch it. Then there are the many untold stories of how he nurtured players. Saw limited action at UNLV but averaged 10.8 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.7 assists over two seasons at Little Rock. He will coach one more season a loaded team that is expected to contend for a state championship in 2023 and call it a career. Named to the second team All-Missouri Valley Conference in 2018. Averaged 13.7 points and 4.7 rebounds in his lone season at George Washington. The 2011 MVP with the Bulls will have made just under $200 million at 35 when his contract expires in 2024. Thomas said he appreciates the citys relative calm compared to Chicago and is still working toward a career as a professional basketball player. Menu. Rather that meant a player leaving Chapel Hill due to graduation or entering the transfer portal, or it meant that someone was joining the Tar Heels via the transfer portal, theres been a lot of roster shake-up. Defensive back Simeon Harris, who entered the transfer portal April 17 after making 21 tackles as a true freshman in 2022, said he accepted how it was to play for the new coach. Has finished runner-up in state twice along with a third place and a fourth place. Web Bell Schedule Calendar Mission Simeon Coaches Directory. 2007-08 Men's Basketball Roster Print Roster Layout: Go Choose A Season: Go Sort By: Go Copyright 2022 Memphis Athletics Facebook Opens in new window Twitter Opens in new window Instagram Opens in new window Terms of Service Privacy Policy Ad Blocker Detected Thanks for visiting gotigersgo.com! It takes years to develop a sense of direction in the city. Started 35 games and played in 121 over four seasons at Illinois, averaging 2.4 points and 2.5 assists. You should know: Parkers potential was hyped from a young age, but he said he wouldnt change anything about those expectations. Loyola Ramblers guard Donte Ingram cuts down a piece of the net after beating the Kansas State Wildcats 78-62 in the Elite 8 game of the NCAA tournament at Philips Arena, March 24, 2018, in Atlanta. Boston College Eagles. How about 480 wins and just 92 losses and likely another 25-plus victories coming next year? Eisley, Chris All betting content is intended for an audience ages 21+. This has been an extremely busy and, for some, very lucrative offseason for a bunch of former Illinois prep basketball products, especially for a trio of Simeon grads. Was planning to play at Adams State for his senior year but suffered a season-ending knee injury. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. Baseball Coach, To Retire", "The man who transformed high school baseball on the south side", "Former Simeon Football Coach Alvin Scott Featured in Documentary", "IHSA Boys Football All-Time Coaching Records", "Simeon halts Catholic League reign with OT victory", "Chicago_Prep_Bowl_Champions_1927_through_ 2017", Simeon's Dynasty continues with third straight 4A title, Boys hoops 4A final: Four certain: Simeon wins 4th straight state title, Winning Hoops, SEP 17, 2009, Legendary Chicago HS Coach Dies, Former Simeon Basketball Coach Bob Hambric Dies, aged 69, "Bob Hambric, 1939-2009: Winning Simeon basketball coach", "Simeon beats rival Morgan Park for city championship", "Chicago-area high school boys basketball rankings Dec. 4", "Simeon beats Orr, completes city title three-peat", "A Rising Star, Extinguished, in 1980s Chicago", "Simeon Career Academy retires No. Currently playing professional basketball in Romania and also played in the Dutch league. 49. The Tar Heels currently have an offer out to Brady Dunlapand have been in contact with the no. And thats rare at most schools. 773-535-3465/3236. For the North Carolina Tar Heels, they are getting some respect as they checked in at Former Simeon Career Academy basketball stars Jabari Parker, from left, Jaylon Tate and Kendall Pollard attend a game in Chicago as Simeon faces Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy at Simeon on Jan. 24, 2023. You should know: Tate recently decided to start a new career path with a marketing firm and envisions himself thriving in sales in the future. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. Slaughter, who says he and Smith were once vicious adversaries but became close friends over the years, saw the class he oozed. Currently plays for the Windy City Bulls, Chicagos G League team. 's 2011 preseason rankings. I feel like I can too., He said it: On why he thinks Tim Flowers will succeed in replacing coach Robert Smith at Simeon next year: I used to watch Tim play when I was young. He said it: When I was in grade school, I wanted to be like (Simeon graduate) Derrick Rose. But he still trains and plays basketball with his former Simeon teammates whenever theyre in town, including Parker, Nunn and Talen Horton-Tucker, an NBA player from Simeon who was five years behind the 2012-13 team. Simeon carries themselves the right way. Neal F. Simeon Career Academy (formerly known as Westcott Vocational High School, Neal F. Simeon Vocational High School, Neal F. Simeon Career Technical Academy), locally known simply as Simeon, is a public four-year vocational high school located in the Chatham area on the South Side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Earned his 500th career win in January. Whether it was colleagues in the coaching business, including high school coaches who were beaten by him or college coaches recruiting his players, the respect was palpable. Leaky Black and Pete Nance have exhausted their eligibility as well. Howard, Phil But it was just a comfort level he had started to feel in knowing he would be fine if he wasnt coaching the most iconic basketball program in state history. There is no additional information to display. Egwu, Jon Bertrand, Ahmad But on June 9, 2016 his 20th birthday he was shot and killed in L.A. after a night of celebrating with friends. CHAPEL HILL, NORTH CAROLINA - FEBRUARY 01: Head coach Hubert Davis of the North Carolina Tar Heels reacts after a foulk called against his team during the second half of their game against the Pittsburgh Panthers at the Dean E. Smith Center on February 01, 2023 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Missouri's Russell Woods shoots a free throw against the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bud Walton Arena on Jan.14, 2017, in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Smith said he has been trying to keep the focus on the players this season, though he has had some emotional moments, including at the Pontiac Holiday Tournament, where Smith loved playing year after year. Men's college basketball rosters: Comings and goings for 2023-24. [24] Led by Jabari Parker and Kendrick Nunn, they won the 2012 Illinois Class 4A championship by defeating Proviso East High School. Thats a rare combination. It could be a while before we see those other two spots filled, especially if one, or both, are filled via the reclassification process. 2 recruit Holland decommits from Texas. I am one who has had the distinct privilege to be up close and personal with Smith and the inner workings of a program that few truly understand. View Full Bio, Dug It takes years to develop friendships. Norvell played last month for the Spurs Summer League team and will try to hook on with a team this fall. football coach in the Chicago Public League. Horton-Tucker re-signed for three years and $32 million, and Nunn got a two-year, $10 million deal. The Celtics and Parker will play that night at home. You should know: Thomas has an agent and is working out every day in the hopes of catching on with a professional team in Mexico or overseas. Moline High School. Career highlights: Was a key sophomore reserve on the 2013 Simeon state championship team. (Terrence Antonio James / Chicago Tribune). (Chris Sweda / Chicago Tribune), College: Governors State, East Los Angeles College. WebSimeon Spurling Title Assistant Coach Email sspurling@loyola.edu Phone (410) 617-2678 Simeon Spurling joined the coaching staff as an assistant coach in May, 2021 following a three-year stint as video coordinator at UCLA. High school football notebook: Malik Elzy quickly catches on, Aidan Gray picks Northwestern, Illini start hot, City/Suburban Hoops Report Three-Pointer: Observations from the first live period weekend, High school football notebook: Brooks Bahr picks Michigan, Frank Covey heads to Northwestern, Ken Leonard prepares to retire, Nick Martinellis recruitment soars after emotional parting with Elon, A very early look at next seasons top high school basketball teams, Five players set to break out during the first live recruiting period, The Edgar haircut is one more thing kids, parents can disagree on, Dear Abby: When I travel, friend checking my home also snoops through my things, Shoplifter stabs Loop Target employee, leading to store closure, The heart of labor is beating strong in Chicago and Illinois, Why were launching The Democracy Solutions Project, Opioid crisis cant be tackled without better pain management training for doctors, A workplace shouldnt be hazardous to anyones health. Story Links. Played two seasons at Nebraska, where he averaged 6.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game in 54 appearances. And Coach Rob made sure we all knew our roles. Cosby, Tracy Llewellyn, Ian Many primary care practitioners are not adequately trained in pain management since learning about it is not required in medical school or during residency, a physician writes. He is always so stoic. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. This list celebrates the schools that, over the years, produced a large number of professional athletes in a wide range of sports. 12) Previous ranking: 6 Dan Hurley and his staff did their work early in the 2023 class, securing five commitments before the end of September. David and Meredith Kaplan Men's Basketball Head Coach, Director of Player Personnel & Development, Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Olympic Sports, Hide/Show Additional Information For Dug McDaniel, Hide/Show Additional Information For Hunter Dickinson, Hide/Show Additional Information For Kobe Bufkin, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jaelin Llewellyn, Hide/Show Additional Information For Ian Burns, Hide/Show Additional Information For Terrance Williams II, Hide/Show Additional Information For Isaiah Barnes, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jett Howard, Hide/Show Additional Information For Joey Baker, Hide/Show Additional Information For Gregg Glenn III, Hide/Show Additional Information For Youssef Khayat, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jace Howard. [20] The Wolverines blue machine were Chicago Public League champs in 1983, 1986, 2000, 2003 and 2009. These Simeon players join a list that includes past Wolverines Nick Anderson and Bobby Simmons as NBA players. Performance Rating: level 1 I just thought it was the best fit, sort of like Coach Hambric did for me.. In the runup to the 2024 election, the Sun-Times, WBEZ and the Center for Effective Government at the University of Chicago will be collaborating on a project to educate our audience about the threat to our democracy and how we can form a more perfect union.. Full Bio. Was third team All-Atlantic 10 his senior year, when he finished in the Top 10 for field goal percentage (.525) and top 15 for steals per game (1.5). Simeon Career Academy773-535-3200. Washington, Howard Former Simeon Career Academy basketball stars Jabari Parker, from left, Jaylon Tate and Kendall Pollard attend a game in Chicago as Simeon faces Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy at Simeon on Jan. 24, 2023. Home Schedule Roster Standings Rankings News Stats Watch School Hub JV Team Nick Anderson, Deon Thomas and Calvin Brock are Simeon alumni who wore that number at the University of Illinois in honor of Wilson. Averaged 19.1 points and 8.7 rebounds per game in one All-American season at Duke. After 35 years of coaching Simeon baseball, Leroy Franklin retired in 2016. 4 national rankingaveraged 12.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.9 As a result, his basketball acumen and work ethic often went unnoticed. Simeon also has eight second place seasons. View Full Bio, Jaylon Visit ESPN to view WNBA team stats, schedules, rosters and more Fantasy women's basketball: I had a great time, just being in the locker room with a handful of Hall of Famers. All team seniors are off to college. I have the NBA League Pass just for that reason, Smith said with a proud laugh. Martelli, Saddi Has played professionally in Canada, Finland, Latvia and Austria, where he won a championship. Schmidt. Smith, Jon They joined the long list of record seasons that ended with disappointment. 3d Jeff Borzello. I do get anxious a lot, he said of waiting. [23], The Simeon girls' basketball team were Class AA and regional champions four times 200304, 200405, 200506, 200607. Sanderson, Chris He now works in business and has taken up boxing as a way to work out. The last to wear it was Derrick Rose. [16], The boys' baseball team were Class AA and public league champions seven times 198283, 198485, 198990, 199798, 199899, 200203 and 200304. The accolades are endless and the resume is, quite honestly, unlike any other in high school basketball when it comes to state championships and appearances, along with the individual talent hes produced. Simeon's Bobby Harris maneuvers under the basket against Chicago Vocational in a Chicago Public League game on Jan. 14, 2013. And you can always come back here no matter what the situation is. Moline Maroons. Personally, my dream scenario for the final two spots would be Elliott Cadeau reclassifying and a combination of Mgbako or Stevenson. Career highlights: Was a key substitute as a sophomore on Simeons 2013 championship team. [12] Varsity Boys Basketball. I feel confident Hubert will put all the right pieces together and get the program heading back in the right direction after missing the NCAA Tournament last season. North Carolina Tar Heels news fromFanSided Daily, North Carolina Basketball: 10 players the rivals loved to hate the most, North Carolina Tar Heels: Annual Rammys Review, UNC basketball fans need this Caleb Love shirt from BreakingT, Mike Greenberg Has to Go On a Darkness Retreat Now That Aaron Rodgers Is a Jet, UNC basketball fans need this Armando Bacot shirt, UNC Basketball Recruiting: T.J. Power Takes Official Visit to North Carolina, UNC Basketball Recruiting has sights set on T.J. Power. And a lot of people say, Well, thats because of you. When rival coach and now friend Tyrone Slaughter of Young heard the news, he didnt hesitate in making a bold statement. He made adjustments when needed, changing stylistically at times to even how he managed different rosters. I get in there with everybody, all my guys that I grew up playing with, he said. The GOAT retires: A look back at the legacy of Simeon basketball coach Robert Smith This retirement is about all that Robert Smith has meant to the sport and, The school is well known for Benjamin "Benji" Wilson, a 17year old star basketball player (then recognized as the top high school basketball player in the nation) who led the Wolverines to their first city and state basketball championships and was shot on the eve of his senior season opener (November 20, 1984). His sisters, Aneesah and Nazlah Morrow, play basketball for DePaul. Started 38 games in two seasons at Missouri, including 32 as a senior when he averaged 6.7 points and 4.3 rebounds in 22.2 minutes per game. . We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. Tarris There could be some wiggle room on the three-spot and if Hubert is okay playing bigger, then Ingram could move to the three, and Jalen Washington could play at the four. As a father-figure coach, he is stern while offering endless support and instilling confidence when needed. But that was Simeon. Averaged 11 points and 6.4 rebounds per game during senior year at Loyola. KANSAS CITY Four former Illini were drafted Thursday-Saturday during the 2023 NFL Draft.Devon Witherspoon (Seattle) was the first Illini off the board at No. 4 in the country in recruiting out of the transfer portal. All those massive wins on big stages? I have to call coaches to confirm but would be BIG for next year. Simeon closed the gap to eleven points very early in the third quarter but never mounted a significant challenge. He sat out last season with a bone bruise in his knee but tried to use that as a learning experience watching players such as LeBron James and Russell Westbrook. Career highlights: Finished third in state as a high school senior. Starting with their next seasons, Suns and Mercury games will be broadcast for free over-the-air and streamed online on a new direct-to-consumer service. Thomas said he appreciates the citys relative calm compared to Chicago and is still working toward a career as a professional basketball player. Hes one of the reasons I went to Simeon. During the first week in August, when NBA free agency opened, Simeon greats Derrick Rose (Class of 2007), Kendrick Nunn (Class of 2013) and Talen Horton-Tucker (Class of 2018) signed multiyear contracts. I just know his blood has Simeon in there. You should know: Nunn is restarting with a new team after the Lakers traded him to the Wizards in January. Cadeau will be a 20-year-old freshman if he stays in the 2024 class, which could impact his draft stock hes stated he wants to be a one-and-done player but Khayat, Jace I think its a place Ill always call home, and I think its an opportunity for me now to uplift those underneath me, playing in high school, playing in grade school. By Michael OBrien Feb 18, 2022, 9:03pm PDT Glenbard Wests Bobby Durkin (33) shares his enthusiasm after dunking during the fourth quarter of the Hilltoppers win over Simeon. Boys Basketball *William Buford. Just last weekend Harrison Ingram picked up crystal ball predictions from 247Sports for Kansas and UNC basketball fans began to try to stay calm and not panic. Thats a pretty nice haul considering what left the program. Im not playing, but my brand has been on players in the NBA, so I guess my name is still in the arena. That meeting had been moved up. Webimeon's 2011-12 basketball team has stirred up considerable excitement. Skokie pays out $875,000 in police excessive force case from 2013. Simeons Robert Smith is the only active coach in Illinois with six state championships. basketball)", "Simeon beats Orr for third straight city championship", "Simeon alum Corey Ray steals home in one of weekend's top plays", List of schools in Chicago Public Schools, Raby School for Community and Environment, Administrative hearing of William McAndrew, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Simeon_Career_Academy&oldid=1147214665, Educational institutions established in 1949, Short description is different from Wikidata, Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 29 March 2023, at 14:33. It gives you an opportunity to excel and to be the best.. Boys Basketball *Nathaniel Lloyd. The last boys basketball CPL three-peat was in 1961.[32]. Used sixth year of eligibility granted because of the COVID-19 pandemic to play at Southern Illinois and average 11 points and 4.6 rebounds. Youre calm, so they understand that. But it always comes from them and their parents., He said it: On having his former players and coaches return for his 500th win: Even when I came here as a student, they always told us, This is always going to be your home. We can do more to protect workers, a labor executive writes. Career highlights: Member of Governors States first recruiting class, along with older brother Sondale Conner. WebWolverine Mens Basketball Mr. Robert Smith Andre Hamlin Assistant Coach: Leonard Thomas Assistant Coach: Jeff Duncan Assistant Coach Men's Varsity Schedule 2008