The only products from the Orlik range I've ever seen on sale in Britain are Bull's eye, Golden Sliced and Dark Kentucky Flake. Yes, it does have a fairly high dose of nicotine. Very good little Flakes, Smell from the tin sweet,Smokey slightly licorice-E.. This is what was recommended. It makes me wonder why I even bother with other blends! Takes to the match well in both preps. It's just rather sweet, and to make sure it would be, they added black cavendish. 2020920 / : 2020920 benjamin moore silver gray and revere pewter It easily shows you what you are getting ready to smoke. + -. The Dark Fired is negligible and offers limited depth. No bite. As for the smoke itself, pretty even all the way thru the bowl with little variance--typical of burley--but the flavor was certainly big enough. 1.76oz tin. If you are expecting "Dark Strong Kentucky" however, look elsewhere. Needless to say, this will become a permanent member in my weekly rotation. The smell was dark fruit and spice which tasted much the same add molasses. The multicolored flakes are thankfully pre-cut to pipe bowl size. Normally a VaPer smoker, I really enjoyed this change of pace. And just like a champ, DSK did not get bitter near the bottom of the bowl which is a problem with cheaper burley. Paddy. I thought I'd like this one a lot more than I did, though I did like it. It's not overly sweet, just right with good tobacco flavor from start to finish. Not particularly smoky at all and yes molasses seems to be in there as well as some kind of licorice / anise topping. The smoke has body, but not a lot of nicotine. Like others had said, this does not smoke or taste like an aromatic, but the licorice flavor stays in the background and compliments the great tobacco flavor. OK, Now that we have got presentation and tin note out of the way, lets delve into the tobacco a little deeper. I let mine dry overnight in a tray and rubbed it out somewhat and loaded it in my old large Peterson billiard. Orlik: Dark Strong Kentucky 50g Pipe Tobacco Product Number: 003-046-0010 This Orlik blend takes a mix of select Virginias and combines it with, as the name implies, dark-fired Kentucky, to create a flake that provides a fine contrast between the bright and dark flavors of these tobaccos. Come See Us. Would I smoke this again? This is the tobacco that sold me the capacity of burley. I'll be brief, as many fine reviewers have described this tobacco very well. No doubt this is the same flake as Heinrich's with a different topping. Add to Cart. Take it easy and you will be very pleasantly rewarded. They fold and stuff well, and rubbed them out before jarring them. In this past few months I'm rediscovering the good things about smoking Kentucky and Burley. DSK is not a complex tobacco but it's never boring. IMO reasonable value and well worth a try. Aftertaste starts out slightly ashy but soon levels out as best-of-the-smoke, redux. Not bad, but not a favourite either. It was actually quite difficult to seperate the flakes without destroying them. A full creamy luxurious smoke wafted unto my tongue. You save $13.11. Very malty smelling. I am not a big fan of really strong flakes and I thought this one was great! It is medium strong, not too wet, good burning. The moisture content's good, making rubbing a doddle. DSK is strong, but not like 1792 or Royal Yacht, which are stronger. It's something to smoke at an office, if you're the boss. I am not usually one for the VaBur type of smoke, but the Dark Kentucky adds an element to this one that brings me into that folks. Whoosh!! I liked this onee and found it to burn real well in any size pipe. Visually, a winner. Be the first to review this product. Similar Blends: Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake. Got much better results by rubbing out the flakes than stuffing them into the bowl. Overall not bad. This blend is pressed and sliced, revealing the top and bottom layers of Kentucky, which sandwich the lighter Virginia in the middle. $30.79. Now this tobacco is strong only in its flavor, otherwise it is medium at most. Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky is quickly becoming my choice. I'd say it's medium strength, but because it has a molasses-like flavor and sweetness to it, its bark is worse than its bite. Well, mine's a dissenting view. a very unique smooth Cavendish/ Burley. 109. It is very smooth, almost creamy. It is rich earthy, nutty and chocolatey; and it is strong. Tobacco is a ribbon cut of reddish light, medium and dark browns. Especially the HH Dark Fired, which I had hoped to finally get my dirty paws on. Well, if it is, it is only mildly so. This is just a very solid taste treat, rich and sweet. There is a sweet aroma which seems to be a light casing in the Danish style, and a pungency (but not the ketchup/vinegar aroma found in many McClelland blends). Once rubbed out, I had to let this one dry for about 30min before smoking because the moisture content was quite high. I never had the opportunity to try the first release of this tobacco but I'm certain I would have liked it. Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to Rattray's Marlin Flake and/or McConnell's Folded Flake.. Great blend, good tin note and presentation with the bicolored look of Ky and Va. tobaccos. Near the bottom of the bowl it does gather some strength, but by the time I'm really starting to enjoy that flavor, it's finished. I shipped the rest of the tin off to a fellow piper who likes Burley. It is a nice addition to my cabinet and weekly rotation. These irregular flakes smoke best when chopped finely. Reactions: Baboo, Roadsdiverged, Bjc68 and 11 others. I bought a 100 gram tin of Mac Barens Bold Kentucky at the same time and it's sitting in the shelf while DSK is disappearing quickly. I admit, I'm surprised how much I liked this. The volume of smoke was not as much as I usually want, but definitely satisfying. 12/15/15 Just an update regarding this blend burning on the hot side. Nice! 4 out of 5 stars! I found that it was best fully rubbed out in a Size 3-4 Dunhill briar. A bit on the strong side I thought and fairly difficult to light,etc. That said, my preference is a dark fired blend. and you won't OUCH. and before a long sleep! Don't judge a book by its cover! The tin odor carried over to the smoke flavor -- I don't like licorice, and that's what this tasted like. Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Birkshire Large Billiard. tin. Some of the flakes are all dark, some are all light, some are mixed, and some are broken so you need to choose your flakes carefully to ensure you get the full flavor mix. This should be done vigorously, thoroughly and for at least a minute. A solid 3 stars. 'is harmfull to health'. This stuff is fantastic. 107 is the tobacco-store located of Hans-Dieter Jurewicz. This auction contains tobacco. The bright Virginia offered tart citrus, slightly grass and mild floralness in a secondary role. Be the first to know about new product releases, specials, and shop events. It is not overpowering even though it provides a smokey and complex taste and room note. When you're wrong, you're wrong, and I was wrong about this very nice tobacco blend! It comes in a 100g tin consisting of small thin flakes, 1&1/2 x 3/4 inches in size, jumbled about. Nice small good looking flakes here. A true delight. This is a really fine tobacco for Burley lovers, not so much for others. Its okay. The licorice topping is stronger, and sublimates the tobaccos much more so than in the earlier incarnation. and less than two thirds of the price of Davidoff's offerings. The tobacco in my tin was more moist than I'd like it and I left it in the tin to dry for about a week. While the kentucky certainly adds body, the overall flavor is light, fresh, and sweet. I detect a nice Virginnia component in this tobacco. Would I reccomend this for other people to try? well . Those two blends are very similar. It has a piquant deliciousness that keeps you puffing away it made me want to smoke it a bit too hard to be sure to take it slow. No criticisms, a very nice one and glad its back. This is not an aromatic tobac (cherry,vanilla,etc) Your family may not like the room note. The tin note is very coffee-like with a dark molasses sweetness to it. Just pops right in perfectly for anything around a group 3-4. The initial scent present at the opening of the tin was a bit more sweet and spicy than the straight burley that I usually smoke. Recommended. I can't put this stuff in a briar. Very sweet to me, but not in an Aro-choco gloop wa y. The VA soon sharpens and it and the Cav sweeten, and the Cav also sours, as it is smoked down. Larsen Dark Flake. Select all. Sweet molasses and brown sugar. Those favored tobaccos mu st now share company with this fire cured Kentucky blend. Hours of Operation: Our website is always open and you can place an order at any time. This is definately good and is worth a try but if you would like to try a virginia burley flake that is wonderful and superb try the 111 flake by Paul olson( another blended flake by Peter Stokebye). Take it for a spin and you be the judge. This tobacco has all the full-flavor of the finest strong tobaccos. Try drying both before enjoying. The aroma emminating from the bowl is not really inviting or lady friendly, but outdoors it is a lovely rich tobacco farm fresh smell, not at all like cigarettes as some plain virginias can emulate. This came as a very nice surprise. Room note is pleasant and has a lingering sweet aftertaste. But for me, it's the sweet, molasses and brown sugar that has me hooked. I found Heinrich's all but unsmokable in any conditions, preparations, or pipes, while DSK is quite enjoyable when treated nicely. The only package size I saw in several cities and several tobacco stores in each was the 100g tin; opening that I was rather surprised by the sweet and fruit-essence tin note. PH dark strong kentucky is very similar to Orlik dark strong kentucky if not identical more less. That is saying quite a bit. My first review of it was after a sample. Easy light, no relights required. Ah what the heck, a friend said I should go for it. I'm not much for aromatics, and this isn't by any means aromatic, but the licorice gives it a full, pleasent room note, at least for me. I bought this tobacco on the recommendations of fellow pipe smokers. Personally I just don't find much about this specific flavour profile to get me to buy another tin, but I fully acknowledge the quality of the tobacco in this tin. That really seems to clear the smoke from a smallish bowl. So I am not marking this down in stars. The visible appearance in every way is identical - size/thickness/texture of flake, color, the way the two different tobaccos (Va and Kentucky) are merged together producing a very nice striated pattern. The tin note on this one is heavenly. Dark? Excellent stuff, highly recommended. The flavors were of various spices and nuts, with a nice dark molasses background. I'd give it four stars if I had more success in getting it into the zone when it is on, it's wonderful stuff. just molasses/maple goodness. Similar Blends: Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake.. Sorry if this review is rather tepid, because this is not bad tobacco, at all, and I do recommend it. I would not classify this as a burley though it does contain some. Very enjoyable smoke in a well known and oft used good briara favorite for many years. These days almost no one remembers what pipe smoke might even smell like. A bowl of D.S.K burns brilliantly, needing hardly any re-lights. I only wish it had a bit more spice to it. I like to rub these flakes out as they come a little moist and need a little drying time. The topping tastes lightly of muscovado sugar and liquorice and manages to never get in the way or become over powering. But when I lit up, the molasses casing had a quasi burnt taste to it and that's when I realized the DFK is quite present. Hay-like tones and smells and flavors of Autumn are abundant with deepening flavors of nuts and butter interplaying in a fascinating way. The tobacco took the light okay, and burned consistently, which relights being needed more frequently past the halfway mark. Good balance between dark and light flavors. Love the smoky taste of this blend. To start, this blend is not for me personally, but I endeavor to judge it fairly. Needed some relights. This is a good smoke if you appreciate burly. DSK is a heavier flavor, akin to Lapsang Souchong tea. Wonderful, wonderful tobacco that reminds me why I smoke a pipe. As we sat on his balcony, I decided to break in my new pipe with a bowl of my new tobacco. Cheers! Now the details. Although I still have a couple of 100 gram tins on hand, it is pretty much impossible to find anywhere. I don't understand the reviews stating that this is all burley.. it most certainly is not as the description states as well as the bright yellow VA you can see in the center strip. I only smoke it to change the pace once In A while from my non aromatics. I like the color of the flakes, black & tan, reminds me of one of my English pub favorites - something with a stout in it. If you've ever had B&M canned raisin bread, they are near identical in flavour and in smell- with a faint brightness and grass from the Virginia. I would recommend this pipe tobacco especially if you like Kentucky fire cured tobacco. I really enjoy the molasses and licorice flavors.