Sign up below to subscribe to Dry Heat our weekday email with top news stories. After dinner, one of our party was arrested on the street, with a drink in a styrofoam cup, that had a lid and a straw. Also, live beach cam has the best beach video from around the world. Border Wait Times It may no longer be available for public viewing. However, the people watching our every move made me a little nervous. I went to Nogales in 2018 and again last month if that helps. Mexican nationals asking Americans for money is a way of life, dont take it personal, hold up your hand or a simple no. with a quarter which is about 5 pesos. You will also find the TSA wait times and security wait information for major US Airports. To preview what the app looks like, click your store's button below. But I wonder if parking is a problem, and my car is very nice and I am worried a bit about that too. Under Ducey, roughly $17 million and about 58 full-time DPS personnel were dedicated to the Border Strike Task Force within DPS. Thanks for your blog and great photos. We'll be in touch if we look into your question. We have so much to go back to at home. Crossings last year decreased significantly, hurting the businesses that depend on this traffic. As soon as you cross the border walk three blocks on Campillo Street, then turn left on Obregon Street. There are many others away from the immediate border area. So how did we get from blocking cattle to blocking out people? When The Border Is Just Next Door, Crossing It Is A Fact Of - NPR They were both handcuffed and whisked away to a police station 5 miles south of the border, where they had a trial in front of a judge (no representation), and shaken down for all the money they had on them. Children and adults alike all wanted a dollar. For quickest entry you need a passport or passport card. Although it was 3pm on a Tuesday. There wasnt a single item worth taking back home. As Arizona lawmakers work on a new budget, the Hobbs administration wants to do away with the Department of Safetys Border Strike Force. I found this info to be very helpful, as I will be in Southern AZ a week from now. We were left in a line talking to what was probably a soldier not supposed to be there. During the George H. Bush administration several miles of fencing was installed in 1993 along the San Diego-Tijuana border. Plus, on the chance you get stopped in Mexico, you could find it difficult to leave. Accepts Ready Lane Pass. Its ruffled some GOP feathers at the Capitol, but Hobbs plan for the Border Strike Force wont actually change much. Next time you come down, let me know. He says he wants more freedom to use the former Border Strike Force money as his county sees fit. When your trial ends, you can continue enjoying all benefits of the Premium App and Website by subscribing, or you can use the Free App and Website at no charge. Fast forward to today, for several long stretches of land you'll see steel fencing, 30 feet tall, installed during the Trump administration. Oh awesome! There was lots of complaining and angry looks. I never had any issues whatsoever- all I came across was very nice and helpful people. Can we define it more? "I think what we're going to see is more and more technology associated with the wall," Yuma Mayor Douglas Nicholls said. Kirkcaldy How is Rocky Point? Can we get it better? The border, and the wall, were peeking out in the distance. The U.S.-Mexico border is nearly 2,000 miles long, with much of the land having an existing border wall or having a contract in place to build one. What a nightmare. Ready Lanes: 50% of general traffic lane wait times, Infrastructure permitting, the processing goals CBP has set for travelers are: Great blog of your trip. 1-2+ hours waiting in the pedestrian line. Nogales, AZ 85621. If I were to go to the pharmacy down in Nogales and purchase prescription drugs, would it be allowed back into the US? So this is how its done. But his office could use state money, he says, for things like a mobile command center and a helicopter to respond to more remote incidents. How long will it take to cross the border? I dont like the idea of walking into Mexico, and would prefer to drive. After all, thousands cross every day to earn a living. Mystery solved. I share a rented house in Nogales with a guy, my girlfriend works 3, 12s one week and 4, 12s the next at night for 1032 pesos a week, about $60, so yes you are the rich American. We are visiting Queens Creek next month, and I was trying to decide if it would be worth the drive to cross the border . In October 2020, U.S. Border Patrol agents discovered a cross-border tunnel running beneath the streets of Nogales, Arizona the 127th tunnel discovered in the Tucson Sector since 1990. Thats a bonus (value: $50). Border Wait Times Joey was only asked, wheres home, before being waved through. Why no date? We enjoy eating at Leos, a Mexican cafe just across the border with great food, prices, and warm people. The six-foot-tall wire fence was built by the U.S. to deter cattle from crossing the border. View all posts by Jen. A fun casual time. Were were among a few other Americans wandering around, but mostpeople were going about the business of daily life. Required fields are marked *. Furthermore, we will have live Streams and live cams of beaches, trains, mountains, volcanoes and theme parks. Hi Nikki. The Nogales Border Patrol Station consisted of two Immigration Patrol Inspectors covering 27 miles of the International Boundary between the United States and Mexico. Visitors who come through the Mexican border contribute between 60% to 70% of the sales tax revenue in the Arizona border communities. Location: Nogales, Arizona/Nogales, Sonora. Under the U.S.-Mexico border, miles of tunnels worth millions of Ive seen CBP make them wait or send them back. Heroica Nogales, Sonora, MX | Live Traffic Cameras & Local Road It's been her dream to tell your stories for the past decade. Nogales, Arizona | Live Traffic Cameras & Local Road Conditions Ten bullets struck and killed 16-year-old Jos Antonio Elena . Coming back there may be long waits at times, as much as an hour or more. The culture, the food, the people were wonderful. The agency does not have cameras at the Bridge of the Americas, which is under the . Traveling to Phoenix to visit a friend. Made by Highnoon. There are some specialty prescriptions which might not be available. It's different than Tucson trying to recover from the virus," Gario said. We definitely want to explore Nogales a little bit more. Nogales Mariposa Border Crossing Wait Times & FAQ's We went to Nogales, Mexico yesterday with a group of friends. Week days are best. Mariposa Border - BorderWait.org Canadian Border Ports of Entry Mexican Border Ports of Entry Otay Mesa - Passenger Hours of Operation: 24 hrs/day Date: 4/27/2023 Passenger GENERAL READY SENTRI Current Wait: 15 min At 10:00 pm PDT, 1 lanes open Average Wait: 25 min Add to Favorites Graph Table More. I am certainly grateful to return to a clean, safe home, hot shower, and pleasant smells. Border Crossing - Is Nogales Safe? - Nogales Forum - Tripadvisor With things starting to make a return to normal there is hope that the economy will return to pre-pandemic levels. You could still probably get a decent meal, though. I wont be heading to the states for awhile (except to go to PetSmart). Id really like to travel further into Mexico and visit San Carlos, Kino bay, among many other places. We just went again yesterday, to the dentist, it wasnt all roses. Weekday? Unexpected changes in sidewalk elevation occur without warning. We live in green valley so the trip isnt far. Doug Ducey. Ive also stayed at Hotel San Carlos. Im on my own, unless you count my 4 pugs. They also show force personnel didnt actually participate in some of the drug busts DPS made across the state, despite taking credit for them. Watch KGUN 9's hour-long special presentation, Cruzando la Linea: Crossing the Line 2023 only on our website and all our digital platforms. Since my last post in July, I have moved to Nogales, Mexico. He wants a meeting with Hobbs to discuss her changes. We had carne asada tacos at Restaurant Sinaola. Most of what I read was not very favorable for Nogales which I thought was pretty unfair considering I had a great time during the day and at night. PORTS & BORDER CROSSINGS CALIFORNIA / BAJA San Ysidro / Tijuana Otay Mesa / Tijuana Calexico / Mexicali ARIZONA / SONORA San Luis Nogales / Douglas TEXAS El Paso / Juarez Laredo / Nuevo Laredo Hidalgo / Reynosa Brownsville / Matamoros WASHINGTON / BC TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN) The U.S. border along Mexico has evolved through the years from a pile of rocks, to 30-foot steel posts in some areas. "If there's customers that want to go and cross their merchandise, they can go to California or to Texas, and that's obviously taking customers away from us," he said. Our crime statistics here are lower than Tucson, lower than Phoenix, lower than the average for the state of Arizona, he said. Left the silver jewelry and coach bag at home. No SPAM ever & unsubscribe anytime. Just walk through the turnstile and thats it. Eds border lot now charges $5 a day, but it is safe and secure. Some things you can take across with no issue. I havent done it myself. Left the big red DLSR at home in favor of a decade-old point and shoot. Ive been busy lately but we plan many more trips to border towns. The first reported barrier was built in the . Unsubscribe anytime. Mark Dannels has headed the Cochise County Sheriff's Office since 2012 and says his office worked with and received funds from the Border Strike Force under former Gov. b) a familiar frontier that is navigated as a regular part of everyday life. BBQ'd tree. If you decide to purchase a Premium subscription, you can use it here on the website as well! Yes and no. We have passports and I have researched the crossings. This was a great write up! We continued to watch the minutes tick by. Nogales Station | U.S. Customs and Border Protection Arizona manufacturers sales skyrocket to $77.6 billion in 2022 according to new report, FTC proposal on noncompete clauses is harmful to businesses. After living for almost two months in the Yucatan, we thought, ok its just touristy Mexico again. Quintana Roo and Sonora are nothing alike. Fully personalized options. No one was staffing that line. Glad you found this useful. Many things need to be considered depending on your felony. "We're going to have to recover from the virus, from the border closure, and then what Nogales, Sonora, and what the government is doing over there.". Thanks, Bob. Copyright 2023 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Click arrow to expand Ports of Entry for Canadian or Mexican to choose selections. For people who live along the border in the twinned cities of Nogales, Ariz., and Nogales, Mexico, it's nearly . No SPAM. Border agents uncover smuggling tunnels from Mexico to homes in Nogales Law enforcement says the tunnels are used to smuggle people and drugs across the border. San Ysidro / Tijuana Live Traffic Cams - Border Traffic Alternatively, you may use, Holiday Inn Express Nogales, an IHG Hotel. How were the dental services? My next post will be about visiting the dentist in Nogales. Give Light and the People Will Find Their Own Way, ultimately ending in a trespassing lawsuit, Cruzando la Linea: Crossing the Line 2023, an anchor and investigative reporter for KGUN 9. I have my own apartment now, about 10 minutes from the border. Nogales, Arizona - 2604 | U.S. Customs and Border Protection But those results have been harder to track on the ground. A Joint Legislative Budget Committee report from October of last year shows funds from the Border Strike Force have gone to Dannels office for at least the last two years. President Bill Clinton even used a Vietnam-era landing mat in the 90's to help helicopters land. US Border Patrol stops over 100,000 illegal border crossings in any given month. The federal government says it has plans to complete he existing fencing along the border. Thank you for taking the time to document your experiences enjoyed! Dannels says those funds came under Ducey because the governors office asked him what his county needed. The city is the main gateway for fresh winter produce and fruits grown in Mexico and imported to supermarkets in the U.S. and Canada. Del Rio, Texas Bridge Border Crossing Live Webcam NEW Dannels has been the sheriff here since 2012. After crossing the borders of twenty countries, this is by far the easiest. Once you leave the three or four tourist blocks, a whole different Nogales emerges. I had done my research, read all the travel alerts from the US State Department and read other reviews on the city. The mission is multi-jurisdictional, multi-funding. or no tengo monedas, I dont have any coins is good, I disagree with the person who said the locals ask for dollars, they would be extremely happy True story, the last 3 times I went, one of the men standing on the corner when you walk over the bridge has yelled Hola, Vanessa Williams!! Banjercito location. SENTRI/NEXUS Lanes: 15 minutes, Plan your morning commute or road trip for Nogales, Arizona with the help of our live traffic cams and local road condition reports While Joey and I were chatting with a lovely couple from Tucson, we noticed people still shoving their way up front. Was hoping Nogales would be somewhat as great as Tijuana is but doesnt sound like it. Border Crossing: US to Mexico at Mariposa in Nogales, Arizona Hey, Jen, thanks for the narrative. We going to check it out. Also, many migrants come seeking asylum in the U.S. walking through the Rio Grande river. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. Follow our adventures around the world and the American Southwest on my blog www.jauntingjen.com Nogales & Douglas Subscribe now to access all videos & wait times! The reopening comes just in time for the peak holiday shopping season. Probably not, but there are other border towns to explore in Arizona. Crossing the border was as simple as could be. Ducey enlisted 25 other governors in a Border Strike Force. This traffic border report is not only for the Nogales / Mariposa / Deconcini borders, but from every Mexico / US port of entry: Juarez / El Paso (Americas BOTA, Paso Del Norte PDN, Stanton DCL, Ysleta), Matamoros / Brownsville (B&M, Gateway, Los Indios, Veterans International), Nuevo Progeso / Progreso (Donna, Progreso International Bridge), Reynosa / Hidalgo, Pharr (Anzalduas, Hidalgo, Pharr). This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. There are different options for using this website. He looked at my passport and didnt so much as speak to me before waving me through. Next to every shop was a bar or nightclub. No one but Joey and I were wearing hats. US citizens should be OK with photo IDs but can be made to wait if they have no passport. At 2:00 pm PST. Fax: (520) 761-2628. Do you love taking vacations and sight seeing throughout the world? Your contact infoWe'll be in touch if we look into your question. Not once was I hounded to buy anything or stared at for looking different. We met at an emergency dispatch hub run by his office and other public safety personnel in Sierra Vista. Nogales opening post-COVID brings promise - Arizona PBS Hi Gregg, Im glad you found the post useful. It helps in our communities with the sales tax revenue and, more important, we can hire people back so that they can go back to work and have money for the holidays that are coming up.. Im 71. We also had ice cream at La Michoacana. My list so far A passport is technically required but as long as you have photo id you will be fine for a US citizen. Can i get back into the U.S.with just a drivers license..Since Im a felon and cant get a passport. Make sure you check the weather forecast before planning your expedition. "So when we say the wall, I think of it more as a system. 2 lanes open. Yes the police will shake you down for money if you do anything illegal or perceived to be illegal. I think of the system as a physical barrier, a camera system, a sensor system and then a response system and I think those last three items are really where the focus is going to be because the physical barrier is there.". Cochise is a large, rural border county that runs along the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona's eastern-most corner. There were a few yellow boots on the tires of several vehicles. Also, look at deck and pier webcams from the top beaches and vacation destinations in the world. I wanted to go to Mexico since we were so close to the border. San Ysidro / Tijuana Vehicle Subscribe now to access all videos & wait times! Anzalduas Bridge - Pasos Fronterizos Nogales will still have two other pedestrian crossings open, the main one at the Dennis DeConcini port of entry down the block from Morley plus the Mariposa border crossing on the city's west side. Visiting Nogales, Mexico: What You Need to Know - Jaunting Jen Check out beach waves, surf conditions, tides, and storm news by looking at the maps of the beaches. We werent asked for a passport, or to declare anything. It's reasonably safe, but the last time I was there many of the better shops had closed. Really enjoyed reading it ! Frances Industrial Park Mexico officially did away with the siesta a few years ago. Since I still have a few more decades before I turn 62, we stayed put and watched the line inch forward. Many businesses have closed their doors. But Arizona's wasn't so successful. Theres a very rich and diverse culture just over the border. The Nogales Morley Gate crossing is for pedestrians only. Disappearing package. GaritasReporte.com offers border crossing wait times 24/7. I think all the cartel rhetoric has stopped many from visiting, but I have seen more violence on our side of the border in Tucson and Phoenix. I highly recommend it. Definitely park on the US side & leave before dark. No one looked at or even talked to us. By all means., According to Hobbs proposal, the $12.2 million Border Strike Force funding set aside for local law enforcement will go into a new support program to provide grants to law enforcement in border communities to conduct border-related activities.. This HD live cam is at the Texas/Mexico Border. I also buy some of my medicine at the pharmacy. Tip: take a small magnet to check if jewelry is real. The sun was intense, even in March. Returning to the U.S.? 2023 www.azcentral.com. Crossings last year decreased significantly, hurting the businesses that depend on this traffic. Checkout this Del Rio, Texas Bridge Border Crossing Live Webcam. Hathaway hasnt met with Hobbs about the proposed changes yet, either. I'm actually staying in Green Valley so your two suggestions look great and are very close. After the Thanksgiving holiday. No pass/card? Nogales welcomes back cross-border shoppers ahead of holiday season Location Address 9 North Grand Ave. Nogales, AZ 85621 Mailing Address Most use address above; Brokers use the following: 200 N. Mariposa Rd Nogales, AZ 85621 Phone Contact: Phone +1 520-287-1410 Fax Number: Fax +1 520-287-1420 Port Director: None Specified Directions to Port Office From Tucson, AZ Farther east from Nogales, Cochise County Sheriff Mark Dannels says his office is responding daily to border-related crimes like smuggling, and Border Strike Force funds have helped. Nogales used to be a fun day trip for shopping and dining, but not so much anymore. Border Wait Times Not a hard decision really for a first time border crossing. This inter-agency team has demonstrated what can be accomplished when federal, state and local departments and agencies work together for the good of all Americans, he said. KGUN 9 takes a look at the border wall that has stirred quite a bit of controversy and how we got to the border wall we have today. I am visiting relatives in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? A half hour after we queued up we were finally standing in front of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent. We werent allowed to visit even the U.S. side of Douglas or Nogales. Heroica Nogales, Sonora, MX | Live Traffic Cameras & Local Road Conditions | WeatherBug 0 Weather Cams Traffic Cams No Traffic Cams in this region 0 Always Have Access to WeatherBug at Your Fingertips, It's Free. Although Im a huge fan of sterling silver jewelry, all of the silver jewelry in Nogales isnt real silver. Phone: (520) 761-2400. Prior to that, I typically stayed at Fray Marcos de Niza which is right on Campillo. All unauthorized uses of this website and its copyrighted material will be pursued legally. Could he see that I was ex-military or where Ive traveled before? I just need to know how safe or unsafe it is to spend an hour or so south of the border or should I just take my pictures from the US side? A few blocks from Dental Row head to Leos Cafe. The total for five tacos and two drinks, $9. The place was packed at 1pm. How much can you incorporate your travels into lesson plans? Find out weather conditions, forecast and updates from the top beaches in the world. I should add that foot traffic varies during the day at the border. Weve lived near the border for over two years now and its definitely not as bad as the media claims. Not a hard decision really for a first time border crossing. I have made some great friends there. Sheriff Hathaway, in Santa Cruz County, says the funding offered through the force under Ducey wasnt aligned with what his county needed. After Arizona and the city called for stricter measures to curb the spread of COVID-19, nearly all stores closed their doorsand laid off dozens of their employees who live and worked on both sides of the border. I dont have any experience with the others. Your email address will not be published. My post is so old nobody will see your question buried as a comment under this old post. In a video produced by the Nogales-Santa Cruz County Chamber of Commerce touting the borders reopening, Santa Cruz County Supervisor Manuel Ruiz said Nogales and the county are looking forward to seeing friends and family from Sonora. Access to all Premium App features for 30 days at no charge, No credit card or payment info is required. Thank you. Furthermore you get to see these incredible beaches and landmarks around the world. Border Crossing: US to Mexico at Mariposa in Nogales, Arizona MexiGringos 235 subscribers Subscribe 448 55K views 4 years ago If you've wanted to drive to Mexico but are intimidated by the. History. This feature is only available on the Premium site.Would you like to know more about Premium? I agree with your comments about Tubac, its nice, but its not Mexico. Allow 2 hours as there are sometimes long lines returning. I will have my teen daughter with me so that is why I am asking. Nuevo Laredo: downtown, yep. Dental Laser the best! The staff was friendly and the food was good. A Severed Hand, A Hidden Tunnel, and Salisbury's Oldest Pub, All the Reasons Why I Love and Hate Sedona, Exploring the Prehistoric Hypogeum of Malta, Mexico's Mayan Ruins: How to Decide What to See, Your Guide to the Epic Mayan Ruins of Coba. To continue, click I agree to accept the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. In the two years since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, approximately 20 businesses in Nogales alone have had to close due to the pandemic-induced economic hardship. We ate twice in Nogales. We saw it bubbling up out of the street and being hosed away at one point. Similares specializes in genetics. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. The requests for money began immediately. Desktop, Android, iOS Google Maps PORTS & BORDER CROSSINGS San Ysidro Port Hours: Vehicle ' he said. Is Nogales, Mexico safe? As Arizona lawmakers work on a new budget, the Hobbs administration wants to do away with the Department of Safety's Border Strike Force.The force was established by former Gov. Cameras to show live traffic flows on Mexican side of border crossings 24-7 Nineteen months after closing the United States border for health concerns during the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, land border crossings between Arizona and Sonora are again open to tourists. TUCSON The Mexican customs agency announced on Mondaythat it will shut down operations indefinitely at the pedestrian-only crossing in Nogales and limit service at thecommercial truck crossing at the Arizona's busiest gateway to Mexico. Even though lunch didnt win any awards, the ice cream was really good, and I would go there again. The decision to shut down the Morley pedestrian crossing capped several weeks of uncertainty for U.S. businesses in downtown Nogales. We were confident that we would be back by the 7pm closing time. Katie Hobbs has said her administration wanted to dissolve the force, but not the border funding. SENTRI is the pre-approved clearance, expedited border crossing process. I am moving to Scottsdale this week (original east coast / 1 year in San Diego) and was considering spending time in Tucson / going to Nogales before I start my job. Live Traffic Cams Cross the border faster Saving you time, money, gasoline, aggravation. I have stayed on both sides of the border with no issues. It is highly unlikely that you will be asked for ID. SUPERB ! The pharmacies which have been located just across the border have been moved and/or closed. It is not a particularly historic town. When I say everywhere, its not an exaggeration. Restrictions implemented in the past month already have led to dozens of layoffs from U.S. businesses dependent on shoppers from Mexico. I would like to do a big border town trip, 1-3 days per border town. Nogales & Douglas Live Traffic Cams - Border Traffic But there is no restaurant in the hotel, but a cafe attached that I havent tried. The Arizona Chamber of Commerce & Industry and National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) welcomed Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, I-Ariz., as their guest at a roundtable discussion hosted at Mercury Systems to address the Arizona ranked 3rd in the Economic Performance category of the prestigious Rich States, Poor States report for 2023 by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). My general feeling is that Nogales isnt for shopping. Tijuana: maybe, cause ive been there already "It's pretty unique here. We're glad you're enjoying Chamber Business News!