Born in 1945 in New Jersey, Marsha P. Johnson was an outspoken African American trans rights/gay rights/AIDS activist, sex worker, and drag queen during the late 20th century. If you want to know my source for a particular fact or quote, feel free to send us a message! Johnson is often credited with throwing the first stone after. Marsha is one of many Black Trans women that have left a powerful stamp on history. [1] Her work continues today through the Marsha P. Johnson Institute, which fights for the rights of Black transgender people. [61] When Wicker's lover, David, became terminally ill with AIDS, Johnson became his caregiver. American drag queen and activist Marsha P. Johnson was dedicated to social justice for the gay and transgender communities. The Village AIDS Memorial, on the other hand, attempts to reach a higher ideal, and with names of actual New Yorkers who died, theres no denying the diversity of the LGBTQ community is represented with this memorial. We were young enough to believe we could change the world. Two years later on July 6, 1994, Johnson was found drowned in the Hudson River off the West Village Piers. The Uprising spawned the first gay pride marches across the country in 1970. "[15], Johnson first began wearing dresses at the age of five but stopped temporarily due to harassment by boys who lived nearby. Never without a flower in her hair, Marsha was also referred to as a saint, even the Patron Saint of the LGBTQ community. PROTECT AND DEFEND THE HUMAN RIGHTS OF BLACK TRANS PEOPLE! "[65], Johnson would also make offerings to the saints and spirits in a more personal manner, keeping a private altar at home when possible. So significant was the AIDS pandemic to her life, Marsha would often express her wish to journey across the river Jordan, helping AIDS patients all across America in the last years of her life. Marsha P. Johnson Biography, Biography.com, December 14, 2017, https://www.biography.com/people/marsha-p-johnson-112717; Sewell Chan, Marsha P. Johnson A transgender pioneer and activist who was a fixture of Greenwich Village street life, The New York Times.com, March 8, 2018, https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/obituaries/overlooked-marsha-p-johnson.html; Eric Marcus, Marsha P. Johnson & Randy Wicker, Making Gay History, March 2, 2017, https://makinggayhistory.com/podcast/episode-11-johnson-wicker/. In fact, it was likely a Black drag king with a complex gender identity from Louisiana named Storm Delarverie who threw the first brick by punching a police officer. After graduating from Thomas A. Edison High School in 1963, Johnson moved to New Yorks Greenwich Village. [8] [9] Known as an outspoken advocate for gay rights, Johnson was one of the prominent figures in the Stonewall uprising of 1969. [45], Carter writes that Robin Souza had reported that fellow Stonewall veterans and gay activists such as Morty Manford and Marty Robinson had told Souza that on the first night, Johnson "threw a shot glass at a mirror in the torched bar screaming, 'I got my civil rights'". Throughout her life Johnson suffered from mental illness and was in and out of psychiatric hospitals. [81], In December 2002, a police investigation resulted in reclassification of Johnson's cause of death from "suicide" to "undetermined". Johnson was inspired by a Howard Johnson restaurant she liked, and the P stood for Pay it No Mind, which is how she responded when questioned about her gender. A few other online sources which I used or mentioned were: The 2018 New York Times obituary of Marshawhich was created as part of their Overlooked series. Marsha P. Johnson was born on August 24, 1945, in Elizabeth, New Jersey. "[20], There is some existing footage of Johnson doing full, glamorous, "high drag" on stage, but most of Johnson's performance work was with groups that were more grassroots, comedic, and political. Some books which include general information on Marsha are: Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution by David Carter (2010). It does provide some information about Marshas early life not found elsewhere. Choosing a name is a rite of passage for many transgender people, and she tried on a few before settling on Marsha P. Johnson. (A drag queen is a man who dresses as a woman to entertain others.) He's like the spirit that follows me around, you know, and helps me out in my hour of need. [74][13], Several people came forward to say they had seen Johnson harassed by a group of "thugs" who had also robbed people. The fifth of seven children, she was born Malcolm Michaels Jr. to Malcolm Michaels Sr. and Alberta (Claiborne) Michaels on August 24, 1945 in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Britannica does not review the converted text. Marsha was educated in the Elizabeth Public School System and graduated from Thomas A. Edison High School in 1963. It is reproduced with permission. Tell students that the text displayed is a statement by directors Tourmaline and Sasha Wortzel on their short film Happy Birthday Marsha!, which depicts the life of trans activist Marsha P. Johnson in the hours prior to the Stonewall Rebellion. Birth Year: 1945, Birth date: August 24, 1945, Birth State: New Jersey, Birth City: Elizabeth, Birth Country: United States. [45] Souza told the Gay Activists Alliance shortly afterwards that it "was the shot glass that was heard around the world". Marsha P. Johnson (Left) and Sylvia Rivera (Right), Gay Pride Parade, New York City, 1973. She was seen dropping a very heavy object on top of a police car, among other actions. After completing high school in 1963, he moved to New York, New York. She had $15 and a bag of clothes. Best Known For: Marsha P. Johnson was an African American transgender woman and revolutionary LGBTQ rights activist. [55], By 1966, Johnson lived on the streets[2] and engaged in survival sex. "[62] In response, marches were organized, and Johnson was one of the activists who marched in the streets, demanding justice. Johnsons story is featured in Pay It No Mind: Marsha P. Johnson (2012) and The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson (2017) and Happy Birthday, Marsha! Marsha P. Johnson was a trans-rights activist who played a big role in important moments for the LGBTQ+ movement, such as the Stonewall protests. Up until her dying breath, she confessed with her mouth that she was married to Jesus, a sign of holiness attributed to the earliest Christian martyrs. Michaels' father, Malcolm Michaels Sr., was an assembly line worker at General Motors, while Michaels' mother, Alberta Claiborne, was a housekeeper. [6] In 1973, Johnson and Rivera were banned from participating in the gay pride parade by the gay and lesbian committee who were administering the event stating they "weren't gonna allow drag queens" at their marches claiming they were "giving them a bad name". The particular video which I found useful in getting an understanding of Marsha was this video of people gathered at the memorial created beside the Hudson River in the days after her death. Just like 44% of Black trans women living in America today, Marsha was HIV positive and notably took care of many people with AIDS on their deathbeds. This is where we get a lot of first-hand information from Marsha and most of the quotes of hers which I mentioned in the episode. the hole in her head). Marsha went missing in 1992 and six days later police found Marsha's body. She was joyous and creative and enjoyed performing. It includes information and quotes from interviews with Marsha not found elsewhere. She was tragically found dead on July 6, 1992 at the age of 46. Marsha P. Johnson was an African American drag performer and social activist. Accessible across all of today's devices: phones, tablets, and desktops. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. The fifth of seven children, she was born Malcolm Michaels Jr. to Malcolm Michaels Sr. and Alberta (Claiborne) Michaels on August 24, 1945 in Elizabeth, New Jersey. [82] Some of her work to find justice for Johnson was filmed by David France for the 2017 documentary The Death and Life of Marsha P. treatment they underwent to affirm their gender identity. We are very excited to be coming back from hiatus tomorrow just in time for Pride Month! All rights reserved. Civic Engagement and Primary Sources Through Key Moments in History. Kohler tells a story of sunbathing at the Christopher Street Piers in the West Village when Johnson, naked, began grabbing at Kohler's shirt, shouting, "My father needs those clothes! This website uses cookies to improve your experience. [78], According to Sylvia Rivera, their friend Bob Kohler believed Johnson had committed suicide due to an ever-increasing fragile state, which Rivera herself disputed, claiming she and Johnson had "made a pact" to "cross the 'River Jordan' (aka Hudson River) together". A neighbor also said Johnson would pray, prostrate on the floor in front of the statue of the Virgin Mary, in the church across from Randy Wicker's apartment (where Johnson lived in later years). "[63], Johnson remained devoutly religious in later life, often lighting candles and praying at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Hoboken,[64] saying in 1992: "I practice the Catholic religion because the Catholic religion is part of the Santera of the saints, which says that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. Find out more about the riots that started the Pride movement. [45] Watson also reported that Johnson's saintly personality was "volatile" and listed a roster of gay bars from which Johnson had been banned. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. "[70], Johnson expressed a relationship with the Divine that was direct and personal, saying in the last interview (June 1992), about leaving home in 1963, "I got the Lord on my side, and I took him to my heart with me and I came to the city, for better or worse. [45] When this happened, Johnson would often get in fights and wind up hospitalized and sedated, and friends would have to organize and raise money to bail Johnson out of jail or try to secure release from places like Bellevue. Earlier this year, New York Gov. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. She was 46 at the time of her death. [8][9] Known as an outspoken advocate for gay rights, Johnson was one of the prominent figures in the Stonewall uprising of 1969. Always sporting a smile, Johnson was an important advocate for homeless LGBTQ+ youth, those effected by H.I.V. A Netflix documentary was made about Marsha in 2017, The Stonewall Inn was the site of protesting and riots in June 1969, Watch Newsround - signed and subtitled. It was like Oh my God. On the second night, however, several eyewitness accounts had her climbing up a light post with a brick in her purse which she promptly let drop on a police squad car below, shattering the window. She's said that the town had zero tolerance for LGBTQ people and as a woman assigned male at birth, she left as soon as she could. After translating an article, all tools except font up/font down will be disabled. In a 1992 interview, Johnson described being the young victim of rape by a thirteen-year-old boy. Her desire for traditional feminine clothing quickly drew a reprimand from her father, a General Motors assembly line worker and housekeeper mother, as well as from the larger society. During the fight he used a homophobic slur, and later bragged to someone at a bar that he had killed a drag queen named Marsha. [Image: Michael Dillon in his merchant navy uniform]. Johnson is often credited with throwing the first brick at Stonewall. It is important to recognize and celebrate their contributions because People of Color are actively being erased from the historical narrative, and the story of Stonewall is the perfect example: A few years ago, a major studio motion picture with a wide theatrical release received damming accusations of White-washing history, putting at the center of the narrative a young, masculine-presenting, White male and even depicting him as throwing the first brick that began the conflict. Have students read the statement silently or out loud as a class. Careers Sadly, at the age of 46, on July 6, 1992, Johnsons body was found in the Hudson River off the West Village Piers. 'Cause you know, me and Jesus is always talking. Johnson commented, "How many people have died for these two little statues to be put in the park to recognize gay people? I mean how many years does it take for people to see that we're all in this rat race together. Marsha was believed to be the person who threw the first piece of debris at the police and led several of the events that unfolded on the 3 days post-raid. Database on-line. Then ask: Marsha P. Johnson was an African-American gay man and drag artist - someone who dresses extravagantly and performs as a woman - from New Jersey, whose activism in the 1960s and 70s had a huge. The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson - David Frances 2017 documentary. She was homeless and prostituted herself to make ends meet. Terms and Conditions [27], The definitions used by Rivera and Johnson were not always the same as those documented in the more mainstream literature of the era. Several documentaries have been made celebrating Johnsons life and activism. BlackPast.org is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and our EIN is 26-1625373. Astrological. "[72] Johnson succeeded in pulling Kohler's shirt off and throwing it into the Hudson River. This was the source of a lot of my information . Who would have thought that her body would be found in the Hudson River with a hole in her head on July 6, 1992. [48] On the first anniversary of the Stonewall rebellion, on June 28, 1970, Johnson marched in the first Gay Pride rally, then called the Christopher Street Liberation Day. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. In 1972, as the face of the resistance, Johnson performed around the world with the popular drag theater company, Hot Peaches. They just dropped her. Please note: Text within images is not translated, some features may not work properly after translation, and the translation may not accurately convey the intended meaning. Twenty years later, in 2012, campaigner Mariah Lopez was successful in getting the New York police department to reopen Marsha's case as a possible murder. We do this by organizing, advocating, creating an intentional community to heal, developing transformative leadership, and promoting our collective power. Please support this #LivingMemorial by following on Instagram: JESUS WAS BLACK AND TRANS: Or at least the Jesus of Sheridan Square was Black and Trans. Marshas death sits within the wider context of transphobic violence The flagrant disregard for the life of someone who was Black and queer caused outrage in the community at the time, in an early echo of the type of purpose that powers the Black Lives Matter Movement. [5] Police initially ruled the death a suicide,[37] but Johnson's friends and other members of the local community insisted Johnson was not suicidal and noted that the back of Johnson's head had a massive wound. Though we often glorify Marsha as one of the greatest civil rights leaders of the 20th century, and view through rose-colored glasses her glamorous role as muse to Andy Warhol, we also tend to white-wash her life and willfully forget that she was a prostitute that was often homeless. They just dropped her right on the floor. When the officers attempted to perform an arrest, Johnson hit them with a handbag, which contained two bricks. "These were sacrifices to her father, and to Neptune, who got all mixed up together," explains Kohler. This documentary follows the investigation of Marsha's death by Puerto Rican trans woman Victoria Cruz. Herself HIV positive (just like 44% of Black Trans people in the United States today), Marsha also notably nursed AIDS victims as they wasted away. This profile is part of anarticlewritten by Cal Goodin for the National Parks Conservation Association. All Rights Reserved. Marsha P. Johnsons housemate Randy Wicker in Pay It No Mind. She has since become a prominent face for the Queer Revolution. My three main sources for this podcast were: For contemporary eye-witness accounts of Stonewall, you can read: Concerning Storm DeLarveries potential identity as theStonewall Lesbian, I referred to: Concerning Sylvia Riveras role in inciting the riots, I referred to: Concerning Marsha P. Johnsons role in inciting the riots, I referred to: James Gallagher, in Pay It No Mind - The Life and Times of Marsha P. Johnson. Twenty-three-year old Johnson and her friend Sylvia Rivera were caught up in the Stonewall Uprising which went on for several days and is credited as the catalyst for the Gay Movement of the late 1960s. How many years does it take for people to see that we're all brothers and sisters and human beings in the human race? 580 volunteers each say one of the names from the 580 plaques of the #VillageAIDSMemorial. On June 28, 1969, Marsha P. Johnson became one of the faces of the Queer Revolution. As the broader gay and lesbian movement shifted toward leadership from white cisgender men and women, trans people of color were swept to the outskirts of the movement. Over 162 people arrested. Johnson said she wasnt afraid of being arrested because shed spent the last 10 years going to jail simply for wearing makeup on 42nd street. Johnson variably identified as gay, as a transvestite, and as a queen (referring to drag queen or "street queen"). [12] Johnson was also a popular figure in New York City's gay and art scene, modeling for Andy Warhol, and performing onstage with the drag performance troupe Hot Peaches. [41] Johnson had been speaking out against the "dirty cops" and elements of organized crime that many believed responsible for some of these assaults and murders, and had even voiced the concern that some of what Randy Wicker was stirring up, and pulling Johnson into, "could get you murdered. - Marsha P. Johnson Plaque #1: A gay rights activist since the 60's known to many as the Mayor of Christopher Street, Edward Francis Murphy is credited with organizing the celebrations that annually follows the NYC Gay Pride Parade, an event now rebranded as PrideFest that is observed world-wide. She adopted the name "Black Marsha" soon after and became a fixture in the Village, where she was instantly recognizable by her bold style, notably wearing flowers in her hair. Despite this, following the events at Stonewall, Johnson and her friend .css-47aoac{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:#A00000;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;}.css-47aoac:hover{color:#595959;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;}Sylvia Rivera co-founded the Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries (STAR) and they became fixtures in the community, especially in their commitment to helping homeless transgender youth. [13] Prior to Carter's book, it was claimed Johnson had "thrown a brick" at a police officer, an account that was never verified. STAR provided services including shelter (the first was a trailer truck) to homeless LGBTQ people in New York City, Chicago, California and England for a few years in the early 1970s but eventually disbanded. Marcus Mayer, one of the first people who noticed her corpse floating near the Christopher Street Pier, would go on the record to describe the horror they felt with the way the New York Police Department treated her remains: It was very nasty because the way they pulled her out. Contact Us All I want is my freedom. [75][76] According to Wicker, a witness saw a neighborhood resident fighting with Johnson on July 4, 1992. She made intricate outfits out of garbage, modeled for Andy Warhol and wrote poetry. For more information specifically on STAR, Id encourage you to check out: Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries: Survival, Revolt, and Queer Antagonist Struggle. In reality, she didnt arrive at Stonewall until about 2 a.m., long after the uprising began. After the NYPD reopened the case, the police reclassified Johnson's cause of death from "suicide" to undetermined. ), alongside close friend Sylvia Rivera. It includes an interview with Marsha, which was the source of her definitions of drag queen, transvestite, and transsexual, which I quote in our podcast. Much like the recent Black Lives Matter marches in the United States, news of these protests spread around the world, inspiring others to join protests and rights groups to fight for equality. Marsha was devoutly spiritual, confessing: I practice the Catholic religion because the Catholic religion is part of the sangria (blood) of the saints, which says that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.. and AIDS, and gay and transgender rights. (A drag queen is a man who dresses as a woman to entertain others.) Privacy Policy [45], Following the Stonewall uprising, Johnson joined the Gay Liberation Front and was active in the GLF Drag Queen Caucus. While she may not have started the riots, she was a major player in the LGBTQ rights movement and community during the 1960s, 70s and 80s. [45] The alleged "shot glass" incident has also been heavily disputed. Marsha P. Johnson ARCC Marsha P. Johnson Mar 22 Marsha P. Johnson, "The P stands for Pay It No Mind" is how she would respond to questions about her gender. That's what made me in New York, that's what made me in New Jersey, that's what made me in the world." Marsha P. Johnson was born on August 24, 1945, in Elizabeth, New Jersey. positive since 1990. [41] Only weeks later, Johnson would also turn up dead under similar circumstances. And before that, for many years, legend had it that Marsha P. Johnson threw the first brick, but she said herself that by the time she arrived at the Stonewall on that first night, the party was already in full swing. Blitz, Michael began reading texts on medicine, and endocrinology. If Stonewall and the fight for gay rights was the primary activist cause of the first half of Marshas life, the AIDS pandemic defined the latter half of her life. [83], U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 19362007, Death, Burial, Cemetery & Obituaries: "Michaels, Malcolm Jr [Malcolm Mike Michaels Jr], [M Michae Jr], [Malculm Jr]. Rican trans woman Victoria Cruz. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies.