If that does not suffice, try: Reinstall Kali-linux-full apt-get install kali-linux-full -y Now your broken menu in Kali Linux should be back in order. The following packages have unmet dependencies: Whether you are a digital nomad or just looking for flexibility, Shells can put your Linux machine on the device that you want to use. The "on hold" packages has nothing to do with the message, just that the conflict was avoided by holding them down (not installing, upgrading, downgrading, or removing), add the flag purge: apt-get remove --purge packet, For me, none of the above worked either. I just ran into the same issue with Ubuntu Mate and I found this thread. What differentiates living as mere roommates from living in a marriage-like relationship? Done You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these. There are countless Linux distributions available on the internet that are worth trying, but deep down, each one of them has a similar foundation. On what basis are pardoning decisions made by presidents or governors when exercising their pardoning power? Had the same problem, I ran that package check command from the other answer (dpkg --get-selections | grep hold) Several depending libs were not installed on my machine, and with use of aptitude tool, I manage to interactively install/downgrade necessary libs/package to be able to install libcurl4-openssl-dev. Kali Linux is a Debian based Linux Distribution UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group. If you experienced a power outage or pacman experienced a hard interrupt and couldnt remove the lock, its very likely to leave behind a lock file. Use the command with care. Other details should be provided when asked. Click the blue search icon next to Properties in Synaptic to open it. Is it possible to control it remotely? By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Replace the old repository with the new repository, save and run. This will install any missing dependencies and repair existing installs: Start by trying to force dpkg to reconfigure any broken or partially configured packages: If that doesnt solve the problem, take a more forceful approach. Effect of a "bad grade" in grad school applications. Another method of troubleshooting may be to use aptitude rather than apt-get to try to install your package: Aptitude will give up less easily and will attempt to find solutions that may involve modifying other packages. Done You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these. How about saving the world? NIntegrate failed to converge to prescribed accuracy after 9 \ recursive bisections in x near {x}. Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. It says "you held packages", while oftentimes there will be no packages held by you: What actually happens is the packages are held by apt itself while running dependency analysis. Behind the scenes, dpkg takes care of this part, so when a package fails during configuration, dpkg is the tool to fix it. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. If you know the name of the package that is causing problems, you can delete the files manually. Did the Golden Gate Bridge 'flatten' under the weight of 300,000 people in 1987? (say 'y' to upgrades). To fix this, clear the cache and repeat the update. and updated my system; afterwards, I could install my package normally with apt. When I ran upgrade I got the following message. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. How a top-ranked engineering school reimagined CS curriculum (Ep. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Tip: learn how to use flatpak in Fedora to better manage your packages. Once removed from sources, everything updated. Why is it shorter than a normal address? By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. I was facing the same issue while upgrading from 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. You need to track the broken package and recursively try re-installing or upgrading it. This article will show you how to troubleshoot and fix broken packages on Ubuntu using the available APT and DPKG tools. E: Unable to correct dependencies. If the package is installed on your system and causing problems during an upgrade, remove it with: Like Debians apt, Archs package manager makes a lock file during operations. Adding EV Charger (100A) in secondary panel (100A) fed off main (200A). Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange! How a top-ranked engineering school reimagined CS curriculum (Ep. Done Building dependency tree Reading state information. Warning: The dpkg --purge --force-all command removes a package even if the removal causes further dependency issues. Breaking an update process either by pressing Ctrl + C , killing the package managers process, or closing the terminal prematurely will result in some level of corruption in your package database that could complicate things when you try to install something else. If the command above returns a list of one or more packages, try removing the packages by typing: The example below shows how to remove the corrupted vlc-plugin-base package. Can I use my Coinbase address to receive bitcoin? the iUs using commands: And then followed the rest of the procedure. so you should try dist-upgrade but apply common sense: if dist-upgrade tells you it will remove a lot of them rather than a few, don't do it. What is scrcpy OTG mode and how does it work? How a top-ranked engineering school reimagined CS curriculum (Ep. I then removed two of the packages there and installed the rest in the directory with sudo dpkg -i * and hence a broken package dependency situation was created. Remove any non-standard repository sources. Then I could install Tomcat 6 (I was removing Tomcat 7 and installing Tomcat 6 as you do). The above steps are highly inconvenientidentifying which package is causing the problem from a list of hundreds is tiresome. I did everything above and got the same error as in my original post. What differentiates living as mere roommates from living in a marriage-like relationship? rev2023.4.21.43403. Can I use my Coinbase address to receive bitcoin? This command moves the files to the /tmp directory, where they cannot affect your package manager. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group. If yum is unable to repair, it is possible to skip those packages by using the skip-broken option. Check if the version needed and version available matches. Which was the first Sci-Fi story to predict obnoxious "robo calls"? Try "Official Kali Linux Mirrors" as suggested by Kali in link provided above. Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Search this Thread A Comprehensive Guide to Using Snap Packages on Ubuntu, How to Install Deb Files (Packages) on Ubuntu, How to Fix Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock Error on Ubuntu, Fix sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) in Ubuntu, How to Install Veeam Backup and Replication, How to Fix Error 526 Invalid SSL Certificate, Do not sell or share my personal information. That's all apt could say really. An interruption at the wrong time can cause this database to become corrupt. Alternatively, you could also just tell pacman to overwrite everything it needs to: In some packages that are poorly maintained, the developer may not have the time or willingness to properly update the digital signature that certifies their package. According to the version table, version Z for the package Y is available. apt --fix-broken install Second, you should confirm that you want to specifically install Wine32 and not just standard Wine. Similarly, APT acts as a frontend wrapper for the base dpkg software on Debian-based distributions. Could a subterranean river or aquifer generate enough continuous momentum to power a waterwheel for the purpose of producing electricity? That will set all metadata as expired, so it will crawl through every repository you have enabled and look for a new version of that package. But apt always installs the latest version (I know it's a little dumb.) Press ENTER to start the installation. $ sudo dpkg -configure -a. Changes to the packages themselves will be proposed, such as uninstalling, modifying missing files, or installing previously removed packages again. Note: learn the differences between Fedora, CentOS and RHEL. Done You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these. Now, update your system's package lists using the following command: Verify all the packages on your system using the. I totally misinterpreted the meaning of "you have held broken packages". Possibly there are packages preventing package manager from working properly which is listed in your terminal error line(in may case: git-man is a dependency for git). repeat second command with every file and then just reinstall. Could a subterranean river or aquifer generate enough continuous momentum to power a waterwheel for the purpose of producing electricity? Force Reconfigure or Remove Broken Packages with DPKG Broken packages may cause package manager configuration problems. Probably had I just chained the commands together with ; it would have worked. Check in /etc/apt/sources.list, and comment out as needed. If youve reached the point where you have to use --skip-broken to complete your updates, its more hygienic for your system to remove it entirely. rev2023.4.21.43403. Open Synaptic on your Ubuntu Linux computer to ensure that all packages are up to date. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Cloud computing in healthcare: benefits, practices and examples, The Value of Continuing Education and Expert Advancement in the Tech Industry: How to List Relevant Accreditations and Training Programs on Your Resume, Exploring The Benefits Of An Ethernet Connection With Linux CNC, Understanding How To Use The File System Check Tool (fsck) In Linux Mint On A USB Drive: A Step-by-Step Guide, Understanding The Need To Run PS As Root In Linux. You will see a long list containing all the installed packages on your system. Fix: 'Unable to Locate Package' Error in Ubuntu and Debian Which ability is most related to insanity: Wisdom, Charisma, Constitution, or Intelligence? mana-toolkit : Depends: dnsmasq but it is not installable First, find out if some process on your computer is still using the file: In the image above, a process with ID 121497 is using the file lock. How to Fix Broken Packages in Ubuntu - Knowledge Base by phoenixNAP I was able to degrade to the earlier version by trying to install curl using aptitude. These fixes should help you get unstuck in most instances. What's the cheapest way to buy out a sibling's share of our parents house if I have no cash and want to pay less than the appraised value? Attaching -a to this just verifies all core packages. Hello and welcome to the Unix and Linux stack exchange site! Enter the following: sudo apt-get install -f The -f option means fix-broken. Start troubleshooting by rebuilding the list of dependencies. It installed git-man again and everything seems working. If you can't find it, then at the Terminal enter synaptic-pkexec). UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. They may differ from yours but the high-level method to resolve them would be the same. gnome-core packages unmet dependencies Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages, Ubuntu software-center : Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages, Exclamation Dradis and DPKG error during apt dist-upgrade, Kali linux 2020.2 have white screen and icons not showing after update. I am unable to install anything because of this. It seems like much was removed. How a top-ranked engineering school reimagined CS curriculum (Ep. Update: After thinking about it for a bit, I think the warnings I was getting about the packages that aren't ready to be installed yet, were being treated as errors, and breaking the && chain from continuing. ', referring to the nuclear power plant in Ignalina, mean? If you know which software caused the errors on your system, you can remove it. Why in the Sierpiski Triangle is this set being used as the example for the OSC and not a more "natural"? Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Browse other questions tagged. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. This can be done by running the following command: sudo apt-get update If that doesnt work, you can try to remove the broken package and then install it again. The correct way to remove a suspicious line from sources.list is to comment it out by preceding it with a # character. Missing package dependencies are a common reason for package-related errors. Then try installing the package again. English version of Russian proverb "The hedgehogs got pricked, cried, but continued to eat the cactus". and saw, so I used "apt-get remove tomcat7-common". Reconfigure DPKG, the base package management system, with the following command: 2. This command reconfigures packages that have been unpacked but not necessarily installed. Browse other questions tagged. Occasionally, a package install goes wrong, and youre left to pick up the pieces. The packages will remain static as a result of Dpkgs inability to install them. My issue was like so: dpkg --purge --force-depends kali-desktop-base to remove the first faulty package, dpkg --purge --force-depends kali-themes to remove the second faulty package These tools can be used to install, remove, update, and upgrade packages, as well as to resolve dependency issues. Package "packagename" has no installation candidate in Kali 2.0. Please review the, Linux kali 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1kali1 (2017-04-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux. Package managers have the ability to fix broken packages and skip broken updates to get your system working again and avoid troubles in the future. Backup any important data you have and start over. Finally, now the conflict is resolved try installing build-essentials again. You have to look for all files related with your package and purge them, then reinstall. Linux package managers, like Apt and DNF, are extremely powerful and intuitive, but that doesnt mean things cant go wrong. Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or If all of these methods don't work it is possible that the broken packages are caused by something that is embedded so deeply in the operating system that none of these methods have any effect on it. Using dist-upgrade will evict some to allow upgrading more important ones. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Why I cannot purge mono-devel on Ubuntu Linux 16.04? In such situations, you can use RPM (the base package manager for Fedora and CentOS) to fix such issues quickly. On whose turn does the fright from a terror dive end? How do I stop the Flickering on Mode 13h? Interpreting non-statistically significant results: Do we have "no evidence" or "insufficient evidence" to reject the null? A common use here would be installing a third-party .deb and finding that it had dependencies you didn't know about. Step 1: Open Kali Linux through CMD or the start menu. Exclusive for LQ members, get up to 45% off per month. How to have multiple colors with a single material on a single object? To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. You can also save this script (linked) as a .sh file ( update.sh) and run it ("sudo ./update.sh" or "sudo bash update.sh "): https://pastebin.com/P3phDsyd Enter the following command in the terminal: Note: Avoid the next 2 options unless all other methods have failed. To demonstrate a broken package, I downloaded a bunch of .deb packages required for npm package. Could a subterranean river or aquifer generate enough continuous momentum to power a waterwheel for the purpose of producing electricity? $ apt-get remove <package_name>. Then run sudo apt update to refresh the list of available software. The package installation procedure may be experiencing a problem, according to the dpkg error message. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Here's my driver install running finally. Sometimes thats not an option, though, and you want to get things done now. Search for the package in https://packages.ubuntu.com/ and restore the default repositories. Can someone explain why this point is giving me 8.3V? who can make friend with me ??? Browse other questions tagged. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. A Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages error message often occurs because you are trying to install or have installed a package that you're not supposed to install. It's pretty useful! From the list in the top left corner select Broken. Check the sources.list file to see if it contains any non-standard lines that may be causing a broken packages error. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. For example, DNF and YUM work with the Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) to download and install RPM packages. The following packages have unmet dependencies: libasound2 : Depends: libasound2-data (>= 1.1.8-1) but 1.1.3-5 is to be installed E: Unmet dependencies. So I am running the latest version of kali Linux. Searching package and restoring default repositories:-. The following was the result of sudo dpkg -l | grep '^. I had this problem and fixed it as follows: Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. How do I fix broken packages in Kali Linux? i have problem when upgrade kali linux 2020. You simply have to be aware of what it's suggesting and proceed only if it is a good idea. gedit /etc/apt/sources.list. sudo apt-get install libssl-dev. Occasionally aptitude will be too eager to remove or downgrade large numbers of packages to satisfy your request, in which case retrying with -f changes its priorities and helps it come up with solutions that involve removing/downgrading fewer packages even if it means not all changes you requested can go ahead: Edit: this is an old answer, and since it was written a newer APT front end, simply titled apt, has become the preferred command line APT interface for end-users. Can I general this code to draw a regular polyhedron? The most important programs for adding additional capabilities to a Linux system are package managers. I was previously using the 2019 version of kali which had no issue but after updating, I gave command apt install mono-devel mono-complete mono-dbg ca-certificates-mono ca-certificates-mono but it shows . Is there a generic term for these trajectories? Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. If the broken package was installed from some other source, maybe that package can be removed along with its software source and replaced by a different version of the same package from the default Ubuntu repositories. kali linux - apt --fix-broken install error sub-process - Unix & Linux Check if DPKG marked some packages as needing a reinstall. Update it with: Generally, yes. In Synaptic in the left pane click the Custom Filters button which is marked by the mouse cursor in the below screenshot. [duplicate], Why is Kali Linux so hard to set up? Then install it again using sudo apt-get install qt4-designer I was having trouble using a secondary monitor after running apt update & upgrade. What's the cheapest way to buy out a sibling's share of our parents house if I have no cash and want to pay less than the appraised value? If you are still having trouble fixing your dpkg errors after trying these tips, you may need to consult with a Kali Linux expert or search for specific solutions online. If you can't find the package, you might need to search online for the correct repository.