He was really adamant about making sure that Christine felt like me, and that I didnt have to put on any sort of airs that I thought an ingenue character had to be or a Christine had to be, she said. Youre trying to get me to spill some Phantom secrets, she coyly responded. Stage Actor. This story has been shared 114,619 times. As much a part of the city landscape as the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty, The Phantom of the Opera has long been a New York City landmark. . I think about it every day. https://www.flickr.com/photos/time-to-look/29568642003/in/photostream/. Still, Christine finds herself drawn to the mystery man. "They saw that I had dinosaurs in my room," he says, "because when I play with my kids on FaceTime, my son loves dinosaurs, so they 3D printed this velociraptor that's, like, in a tuxedo with a phantom mask. The castalso featuresBradley Deanas Monsieur Andr,Craig Bennettas Monsieur Firmin,Raquel Suarez Groenas Carlotta Giudicelli,Maree Johnsonas Madame Giry andCarlton Moeas Ubaldo Piangi. "This has been his home away from home," she says. Due to the expansive nature of Off-Broadway, this list is not comprehensive. Crawford currently stars as The Phantom, and Connolly previously played Meg Giry in the long . Scan this QR code to download the app now. Year after year, it remains a staple in the musical theatre canon, and Kouatchou attributes the musicals success to composer Andrew Lloyd Webber. Emilie Kouatchou (left) and Ben Crawford (right) performing the title song in "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway. Emilie Kouatchou (left) and Ben Crawford in Broadway's "Phantom of the Opera." Matthew Murphy. They cycle in new leads and audiences get to see a new take on this classic show. Choose Your Favorites for the 2023 Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards. And, you know, I think people's memory now is back with people saying Phantom of the Opera is one of the great successes of all time, which is what one always prays when a great show finishes. On Sunday night, April 16, the curtain will fall on the longest-running show in Broadway history. Keeping this in mind grounds Kouatchou and informs her purpose-driven life and career. I mean, it is me singing. Seamlessly booking your Phantom of the Opera tickets on, Christine Daa is played by Emilie Kouatchou, Monsieur Firmin is played by Craig Bennet, Carlotta Guidicell is played by Raquel Suarez Groen, The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway is currently showing at the Majestic Theater on 247 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036. "So, you know, it was the right decision to take at the right time. Can't decide where to bike? What is The Phantom Of The Opera about? Current Phantom of the Opera star Ben Crawford will be out of the show for the final Broadway performance. Among the judges are Olivier winner Amber Riley and Frozen star Samantha Barks. As a full recovery is expected in the coming days, Ben and The Phantom Company had hoped he'd be able to return for the closing performance. The Phantom Of The Opera takes place in the decadent Paris Opera House where the Phantom - a man ashamed of his physical appearance - hides from the real world in the darkness of the theatre. Kenneth Ferrone directs the country-themed musical following a Nashville-bound mother and daughter. Ben Crawford and Kelsey Connolly Announce Engagement, Photo Courtesy Matthew Murphy/ Kelsey Connolly, Take a Look at Emilie Kouatchous Historic Performance in the Phantom of the Opera, Go Inside the Broadway Return of The Phantom of the Opera, A Look at The Phantom of the Opera in London Starring Killian Donnelly and Lucy St. Louis, Broadway Eatery Glass House Tavern Targeted With Negative Reviews Following Dispute With Pedicab Drivers, Gold House's A100 List Announces Honorees Stephanie Hsu, Lea Salonga, More, Jessica Phillips, Analise Scarpaci, Jennifer Fouch, More Cast in Reading of New Musical, Gideon Glick and David Alvarez to Star in Prime Video's, Playbill Celebrates Broadway's May Birthdays, What Anna Uzele and Colton Ryan Learned From Working with John Kander. Fun fact: Did you know that this exact theater has been home to The Phantom of the Opera since 1988? This is a remake of a video that I made and posted a couple of months back comparing the way Ben Crawford sounded in 2018 vs. 2023.This time around I used the earliest recording of Ben that is currently circulating, which comes from his second ever performance in the role on April 17, 2018 - and comparing it to the most recent recording of Ben from his final performance on the evening of April 1, 2023.The audio quality of the 2018 recording is cleaner this time around - all the same moments that were compared in the previous video are used here. Thats how Im trying to approach this role. Thats one of the reasons why its stood the test of time.. Jeff Keller played a limited replacement engagement, Ted Keegan played a limited replacement engagement, Brad Little played a limited replacement engagement, Gary Mauer played a limited replacement engagement. He's played The Phantom over 200 times in New York, with his last performance in early March. The production won seven Tony Awards, including Best Actor for Crawford and Best Musical. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA has played to over 145 million people in 41 countries and 183 cities in 17 languages. "At the moment, it's about maintaining what we have: keeping the show vibrant. The Phantom is played by Ben Crawford. If he is listed as a cast or swing member on the website then he is likely the current understudy. It is directed by the late Harold Prince. Andrew Lloyd Webber has also created a new joint venture with Antonio Banderas to create new, high quality Spanish language productions for Hispanic audiences, with a new production of The Phantom of the Opera set to open in Spain soon. You'll also learn about getting an International Driver's License and tips on driving on the left side of the road! Stage Actor. And it came to my dressing room in a box with, like, holes in it so it could breathe. Choose Your Favorites for the 2023 Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards. The cast is ledbyBen Crawfordas The Phantom,Meghan Picernoas Christine andJohn Riddleas Raoul. Sources told The Post there will be a large bash to celebrate its 35th anniversary. The production has grossed a staggering $1.3 billion. But shes at peace with how things unfolded. Sara Esty takeson the role of Meg Giry. If the performance guests choose to attend is less than 14 days after their childs (age 5-11) first vaccine dose, they must also provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test. The flagship London production, which celebrated its 36th anniversary on October 9, continues to play stronger than ever post-Covid, with no end in sight. Heres a List of Countries Open for Travel Now! Fun fact: Did you know that this exact theater has been home to The Phantom of the Opera since 1988? "I was retiring anyway," he says. Check out a portrait of the final cast, crew, orchestra, and staff here! Andrew Gans Following the industry-wide shut down due to the Covid pandemic, the Broadway production reopened on October 22, 2021 with an outdoor block party that made headlines around the world. Natan Zamansky Based on Gaston Lerouxs 1910 novel, Phantom of the Opera tells the story of a love triangle that blossoms after two businessmen take ownership of a haunted opera house. Celebrating 35 years on Broadway, watch as the production's lead cast members Ben Crawford (The . Ben Crawford (Stage Actor): his birthday, what he did before fame, his family life, fun trivia facts, popularity rankings, and more. "So, I have a very enviable spot in my life in the fact that I had something to go to, which was nothing!" This Epic 5-Day Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles Should Be Your Next Adventure, See Californias most iconic sights while driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles with this road trip guide! The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway Ben Crawford and Ali Ewoldt with Jason Forbach as Raoul Taken during Ali's final week in the production (Taken on my pho. Our website is made possible bydisplaying online advertisements to our visitors. It follows a deformed composer who haunts the grand Paris Opera House. Crawford has been out of the show since April 1st. She has toured the country with An American in Paris and Phantom. The singing in the musical reaches some of the highest octaves. Current Phantom of the Opera star Ben Crawford will be out of the show for the final Broadway performance. Produced by Cameron Mackintosh and The Really Useful Group, The Phantom of the Opera has been the longest-running show in Broadway history for well over a decade, and its astounding longevity in New York and around the world is unprecedented. It really took me being in the show and learning the music and seeing other people do all these other songs to realize how genius it is, she said. Lucy St. Louis recently became the first Black actor to play the role when she reopened the London production of Phantom as Christine in July. "I got the gig of a lifetime. Based on Gaston Lerouxs 1910 novel, The Phantom of the Opera, the musical follows the story of The Phantom, a mysterious composer who haunts the Paris Opera House, and his muse, up-and-coming opera-star Christine Daa. Only this is a slightly dangerous one. Emilie Kouatchou is making her Broadway debut as an alternate for the role of Christine, which makes her the first Black performerto play the part on Broadway. We will look to maintain every element of the production through to the very last note.". But its really cool to compare, you know?Anyway enjoy! The stats are absolutely staggering since it opened on Broadway in January of 1988, Phantom has played almost 14,000 performances to audiences of over 20 million, grossing over $1.3 billion. . After three decades at the Majestic Theatre, The Phantom of the Opera still runs like a well-oiled machineincluding its . Mackintosh pulled the same maneuver with Londons Les Misrables at whats now the Sondheim Theatre. May 1, 2023, By Davis' Death of a Salesman co-star Wendell Pierce hosted a screening and talkback for the new film. Thanks for contacting us. The right show could be grossing $3 million a week there, rather than $1 million from Phantom.. A place to discuss all things Broadway as well as other plays and musicals! The New York production currently stars Ben Crawford as 'The Phantom,' Emilie Kouatchou as 'Christine,' Paul Adam Schaefer as 'Raoul' (John Riddle returns to the role on April 3), Nehal Joshi as 'Monsieur Andr,' Craig Bennett as 'Monsieur Firmin,' Raquel Suarez Groen as 'Carlotta Giudicelli,' Maree Johnson as 'Madame Giry,' Carlton Moe as 'Ubaldo Piangi' and Sara Esty as 'Meg Giry.' Jay Armstrong Johnson and Kaley Ann Voorhees, By you have to do what sets you apart. 14 Places to Visit During Your Los Angeles to San Diego Road Trip. Broadway's blockbuster phenomenon, Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera, directed by the late Harold Prince, is one of the world's all-time most successful entertainment properties. The Phantom of the Opera's running time is 150 minutes long (or roughly 2 hours and 30 minutes) with an intermission between both acts so you . Some even send him their own artwork. The long-running musical resumes performances at the Majestic Theatre on October 22, . Widely considered one of the most beautiful and spectacular productions in history, the blockbuster phenomenon set the bar with its lavish sets and costumes, large cast and Broadway's largest orchestra - a perfect match for its sumptuous score and classic love story. Broadway Grosses Analysis: Box Office Drops Without, Watch Stirring Video Montage the Audience Viewed at Final Broadway, READ: Broadway Extends Vaccine Requirements Through 2021, From Ragtime to Shuffle Along: Celebrating Brian Stokes Mitchell's Greatest Stage Roles, Celebrating the Stage Roles of Sierra Boggess, Look Back at Rebecca Luker on the Stage For Her Birthday. Ben Crawford currently plays the Phantom and Emilie Kouatchou is Christine Daa. | The ensemblefeatures Giselle Alvarez, Polly Baird, Janinah Burnett, Xiaoxiao Cao, David Michael Garry, Chris Georgetti, Kelly Jeanne Grant, Katharine Heaton, Satomi Hofmann, Ted Keegan, Kfir, Kelly Loughran, Scott Mikita, Greg Mills, Justin Peck, Patricia Phillips, Richard Poole, Jessica Radetsky, Janet Saia, Paul A. Schaefer, Carly Blake Sebouhian, Jeremy Stolle, Carrington Vilmont, Jim Weitzer, Elizabeth Welch and Erica Wong. Save up on your adventure with Klooks best deal on car rentals, hotels, and attractions, 10 Disneyland California Souvenirs You Have to Take Home. California dreamin? When he read Gaston Leroux's novel, he found the vehicle and collaborated with Richard Stilgoe and Charles Hart on the adaptation, directed by Hal Prince. Longtime Phantom Laid Mackintosh will step into the role this evening. IE 11 is not supported. Talaura Harms 3' review: A grotesque, exhausting adventure, Kudos to Steven Spielberg for speaking out against wacko censorship, 'New York, New York' review: Broadway musical can't make it here, anywhere, 'Summer, 1976' review: Laura Linney, Jessica Hecht a perfect pair on B'way, 'Good Night, Oscar' review: Sean Hayes stars in off-key Broadway play, terrifically fun London Palladium revival. Phantom first opened on Broadway with its original London stars, Michael Crawford as the masked romantic and Sarah Brightman as his beloved soprano Christine. As with many other shows, ticket sales for "Phantom" lagged when Broadway reopened after COVID-19. In an era when Hollywood actors are dominant on Broadway, preferring strictly limited runs that give them career options and flexibility, 9,382 performances may endure as something more than a world record. May 1, 2023. First Name Ben. Our website is made possible bydisplaying online advertisements to our visitors. PHANTOM is also currently playing in Japan, Greece and Sweden, and has productions opening this month in South Korea and Prague, as well as its highly anticipated premiere in Italy this July. "It has a world of its own. Im hoping to set a date for the exciting post covid experience of seeing phantom in November. Unaware of Christine's love for Raoul, The Phantom's obsession sets the scene for a dramatic turn of events where jealousy, madness and passions collide. Copyright 1991-2023 Playbill Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Phantom of the Opera, Andrew Lloyd Webber's mega hit musical, is closing after . The first Mandarin language version of PHANTOM, presented by SMG Live, with Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Really Useful Group and Troika Entertainment and based on the original production, will open in China at the Shanghai Grand Theatre in May 2023, which will be followed by a large-scale tour of China. Indeed, PHANTOM has been the largest single generator of income and jobs in Broadway and U.S. theatrical history. I want to take care of myself, but its so important that audiences see someone who looks like me playing Christine.. Also joining the production in her Broadway debut is Emilie Kouatchou, who plays the role of Christine Daa at certain performances. New director, slimmer set, more projections. Please consider supporting us bywhitelisting playbill.com with your ad blocker.Thank you! Honestly, this was the perfect time for something like this to happen, even though it had been quite a long time. Broadways second-longest-running show, the revival of John Kander and Fred Ebbs Chicago, is well behind in the race, having been running 25 years and playing 10,090 performances. Kouatchou a Chicago native and University of Michigan graduate unsuccessfully auditioned for the musical twice before landing a role as the understudy. Check out our list of must-see exhibits in the MoMA, perfect for both art connoisseurs and casual appreciators! Musical staging and choreography is by the late Gillian Lynne. The ensemble includes Giselle Alvarez, Polly Baird, Janinah Burnett, Xiaoxiao Cao, David Michael Garry, Chris Georgetti, Kelly Jeanne Grant, Katharine Heaton, Satomi Hofmann, Ted Keegan, Kfir, Kelly Loughran, Scott Mikita, Greg Mills, Justin Peck, Patricia Phillips, Richard Poole, Jessica Radetsky, Lindsay Roberts, Janet Saia, Paul A. Schaefer, Carly Blake Sebouhian, Jeremy Stolle, Carrington Vilmont, Jim Weitzer, Elizabeth Welch, and Erica Wong. (Fox Theatre). Since its opening night on Jan. 26, 1988, the show, produced by Cameron Mackintosh and Lloyd Webbers Really Useful Group, has played 13,733 performances over nearly 35 years. Last Fall's closing announcement instantly resulted in sold out performances and lines around the block of The Majestic Theatre, in advance of the final performance, which will be its colossal 13,981st. He played the lead role of The Phantom in the Broadway production of The Phantom of the Opera for five years.. Christine a young soprano starts the musical with a small role in the show within the show, but becomes the Phantoms love interest and he uses his influence to get her the lead role by any means possible. The musical has celebrated over 30 years on both sides of the Atlantic, and has received over 70 major theater awards, including seven Tony Awards and four Olivier Awards. This Christine feels very much close to me, and I relate a lot to her. November 09, 2019. We've received your submission. Following the performance, the current Phantom, Ben Crawford, gave a speech honoring the show. [UPDATED] Your Trusty Guide for Travel Requirements, Rules, and Reminders for Your Next Trip to Mainland US. Kouatchou is the first Black actor to play the role of Christine in the Broadway production. Dylan Parent hide caption, Musician Joyce Hammann has been at the show even longer than Poole: "I'm concertmaster at Phantom of the Opera, which is first violin. Watch the complete curtain call fromtoday's final curtain call of The Phantom of the Opera. The temptation might be to inflect up (but) its OK for her to have a more grounded lower voice if thats true to me. Josh Gad. People die, a chandelier crashes to the stage, but love kinda triumphs all set to a sweeping romantic score. A flop movie version, starring Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum, was released in 2004. The Phantom of the Opera marquee is shown above on April 13, 2023, at the Majestic Theater in New York City. The Phantom of the Operawas nominated for 10 Tony Awards in 1988 and took home seven, includingBest Musical. Please consider supporting us bywhitelisting playbill.com with your ad blocker.Thank you! "I was very keen to write something which was a high romance at the time, having done Evita and having done Cats and various things, which didn't let me go in that direction at all," Lloyd Webber recalled in 2013, for the show's 25th anniversary on Broadway. SHUCKED, SOME LIKE IT HOT Lead Nominations for 2023 Drama Desk Awards. Here are 14 spots to stop by during your Los Angeles to San Diego road trip. The Phantom of the Opera has released an all new music video featuring the show's closing cast. but there have been so many talented Black women who could have." . ", But even the longest running show in Broadway history has to close at some point. And holy moly, I've been there 33 and a half years." The Phantom of the Opera has music by Lloyd Webber, lyrics by Charles Hart (with additional lyrics by Richard Stilgoe), and a book by Stilgoe and Lloyd Webber. Broadway's longest-running musical took a significant, if long overdue, step toward diversifying its cast this week in conjunction with its 34th anniversary. I remember feeling like, OK, no matter what happens, the people out there have me and the people backstage have me and are supporting me. I remember it being a whirlwind and being extremely tired by the end, ready to drop. On Sunday night, April 16, the curtain will fall on the longest-running show in Broadway history. Check out the video below! Every Phantom is different, every Christine is different. Broadway News Broadway's Longest-Running Production, The Phantom of the Opera, Reopens October 22 Ben Crawford stars with Meghan Picerno as Christine and John Riddle as Raoul. Ben Crawford and Kaley Ann Voorhees Matthew Murphy. 100 Reasons Why You Should Visit Disneyland Resort California This Year. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. Lin-Manuel Miranda. | Copyright 1991-2023 Playbill Inc. All Rights Reserved. Sara Esty joins the company as Meg Giry. The Phantom of the Opera. Explore New York with These Bike Rentals, Tours, and Trails! Youre not going to get the same cookie-cutter character and I think thats the exciting part of Phantom, too. An estimated 6,500 people have been employed by the production including over 400 actors and it takes a cast, orchestra and crew of 125 to put on the show. Review Roundup: Sean Hayes Stars In GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR On Broadway! FollowNBCBLKonFacebook,TwitterandInstagram. Seth Sklar-Heyn (our production . At certain performances, Julia Udine plays the role of 'Christine.'. Returning to lead the cast are Ben Crawford as The Phantom, Meghan Picerno as Christine Daa, and John Riddle as Raoul, with Bradley Dean as Monsieur Andr, Craig Bennett as Monsieur Firmin, Raquel Suarez Groen as Carlotta Giudicelli, Maree Johnson as Madame Giry, and Carlton Moe as Ubaldo Piangi. "People [here] have watched him grow up. 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. May 1, 2023, By A favorite of theatre fans and industry members alike, the restaurant is sounding the call for positive reviews on Google. Based on the classic novel Le Fantme de L'Opra by Gaston Leroux, The Phantom of the Opera, has music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics by Charles Hart with additional lyrics by Richard Stilgoe and book by Richard Stilgoe and Andrew Lloyd Webber. Check out this. The couple previously starred together as The Phantom and Meg Giry in The Phantom of The Opera. It was a big conversation when I was rehearsing first with our production supervisors. The Phantom of the Opera, for those who've never seen it, is the story of a disfigured genius who haunts the Paris Opera House, pining away for a young soprano, Christine, who's in love with a dashing count. The Phantom of the Opera has been performed in 15 languages and was the first musical to gross over $6 billion. Actor Richard Poole says the closing is bittersweet. I try and bring myself to her as much as I can even in just the inflection of my voice, something as simple as that. The musical is the longest-running show on Broadway . Blocking belongson the stage,not on websites. People I look up to in the industry. The Broadway staging of the London-originated show won seven 1988 Tony Awards, including Best Musical. The entertainment industry at large has struggled with diversity and representation, especially Broadway. "The Phantom of the Opera" has been playing on Broadway for nearly 35 years. And not to mention the iconic chandelier hanging from the ceiling of the theater you wont get another experience like this on Broadway. In our new photo and interview series, BroadwayBox spotlights 10 of Broadway's most spectacular replacement stars. Privacy Policy. No matter whats going on during my day if I had a bad day or if I feel like Im not doing my best on stage or whatever I just know that me being on stage is bigger than what is necessarily going on with me, she said. Music supervisor and conductor David Caddick has been around since the very beginning he was music director for a staged reading on Andrew Lloyd Webber's estate back in 1984. According to a representative: "Due to a bacterial infection, Ben Crawford has been on vocal rest, per doctor's orders. Sign up for reopening news, announcements, and exclusive discounts on tickets to your favorite shows! [Ed. Randi Richardson reports for TODAY Digital and NBC BLK from New York. Producer Cameron Mackintosh says Phantom was losing money, even before the pandemic. Hammann is one of several members of the orchestra to have a "Phantom baby" her son, Jackson just turned 18. Endless thanks to Denny and Seth, as well as her amazing family. In 2023, PHANTOM will be playing across a total of 15 countries, in 8 languages and 4 continents. Emilie Kouatchou and Ben Crawford star as Christine and the Phantom in "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway. But yeah, it was a wonderful night.. A post shared by Kelsey Connolly (@kelseyhconnolly). 40 Year Olds. 1. Planning to go to Disneyland Resort California for your next holiday? By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. The PHANTOM Orchestra - Broadway's largest, with 27 members - performs under the musical supervision of David Caddick. May 1, 2023, By