Have for years merged Dave Krieg and Steve DeBerg together into fusion of the ultimate 80s journeyman QB, Stave KrieBerg. He finished fifth in passing DVOA behind Dan Fouts, Marino, Joe Montana, and Joe Theismann. I have no idea what force convinced me to type Ripon not Milton, but MILTONis CORRECT! Hand size (Length/Span): 9.5/10 Height: 61 Percent longer than the Really liked him a lot except for those small hands. In reply to How dare you besmirch the by Ambientdonkey. Raiders legend Tom Flores stepped down from the front office to replace him. "He picks out secondary and tertiary receivers. With something weird NFL in rti but not sure if have desire anymroe. See Photos. He's pretty unflappable. Web8 1/2 hand Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) March 3, 2022. Had some really good moments with Krieg.But he gets my vote for the All time NFL Quarterbacks with the most Balls slipped out of his hands( i swear he must have some small hands?) How dare you besmirch the good name of the ultraback. "The veteran quarterback took over for Scott Mitchell, saved the Lions season, and probably saved Wayne Fontes' job," Didinger wrote. In a 1991 game between the New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks, QB Dave Krieg got injured and suffered a broken thumb. In reply to the mitchell deal by Jetspete. Dave Krieg was under center the first time I saw a Seahawks game in person. ", https://www.footballoutsiders.com/almanac/historical-archive. WebHes not a face of the NFL by any means, but almost 200 touchdown passes and three Pro Bowls at age 30 is nothing to sneeze at. The annual offensive comas his teams lapsed into may well have been the result of outdated offenses, weak pass protection, and coaches who thought shuffling quarterbacks might provide a "spark" and that publicly negging their players would motivate them. WebInterestingly, his span is a whopping 17.6% wider than Anthony Davis' despite being nine inches shorter. He backed up Montana in San Francisco, Elway in Denver, Young in Tampa, and Marino in Miami. Bigger hands and Dave would have been so much better. We come to the Golden Example. Milton College closed in 1982, while Krieg was still dueling with Zorn. [30], In 1996, the Chicago Bears signed Krieg to back up Erik Kramer. Jones was, in fact, the player who injured Mitchell. Does anyone else question Geno's leadership and accountability cred? Free agency was in its infancy, and he was the first in a long line of backups to get mega deals off the back of a few fill-in starts. Jim Zorn had been the Seahawks quarterback since the team's inception, a lefty gunslinger and beloved local hero who triggered a pass-happy offense for the era. Oh that guy undrafted from a College that no longer has a football program, had small hands and took over for Zorn and who drove Knox nuts but found a way to win most the time. Makes sense that it's hard to play QB when you can't throw to one side of the field. Jets link has been fixed. Krieg led a 90-yard touchdown drive to bring the Chiefs within 7 points, but the Buffalo Bills scored 10 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to qualify for their fourth straight Super Bowl appearance. My favorite memory was when CBS named him as the player of the game but spelled his name wrong on the graphic. You dont say! Jeff Hostetler signed with the Raiders at the same time Mitchell signed with the Lions, and he kind of worked out okay (didn't light the world on fire stats-wise, but did make a Pro Bowl and won a lot of games as a starter). The Arizona Cardinals rewarded Krieg for his 1994 performance by signing him to be their starting quarterback in 1995. On rare occasions, Krieg would mop up in garbage time or take a knee at the end of a game. Krieg was not in training camp that season, but intended on playing a 20th NFL season. WebFor many years Krieg held the NFL record for most career fumbles, a result of both a lengthy career at quarterback and unusually small hands for the position. Thanks for this article - Dave Krieg was one of my favorite players - and I thought I was the only one who thought he was pretty great! 32 Facts About Dave Krieg | FactSnippet. WebQuarterback controversies! The Seahawks finished 7-9 in 1991, and everyone, including new owner Ken Behring, finally grew tired of having the same mediocre season with the same old-school coach and three quarterbacks over and over again. Krieg signed with the Chiefs in March of 1992. Mirer and Bledsoe shared Rookie of the Year honors. When Zorn continued to struggle in the final game of the season,[12] Coach Mike McCormack inserted Krieg, who rallied Seattle to a victory over the Denver Broncos. Ryan Fitzpatrick with Buffalo in2011 kind of fits that mold, but Ryan Fitzpatrick has his own unique layers to his story. However, he faltered in midseason, so Coach Knox benched him in favor of Gale Gilbert. Largent broke a bone in his elbow early in the 1989 season and announced his retirement late in the year. The Krieg-led Lions in the 2nd half of '94 was one of my favorite Lions teams to watch. Went to the now-defunct Milton College. But he has been the frontman for one of the NFLs more successful teams of late, and he does bring consistency to the table. Krieg made a handful of spot starts, then was forced into the lineup when Montana was injured against the Bills in the AFC Championship Game. But after Krieg went 6-of-16 for 26 yards and five sacks in a Week 8 loss to the Broncos, Knox turned the starting job over to Gilbert, who had gone undrafted out of Cal in 1985. -- Krieg is expected to be out for eight weeks with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. The Seahawks finished a disappointing 79, leading to the resignation of Coach Knox. WebSEATTLE . How he not only went 6th overall, but had the audacity to hold out and force a trade (and it worked! I remember Krieg beating out Sam Adkins for the #2 job, then replacing Zorn! "There isn't anything particularly outstanding I can tell you about Kelly Stouffer other than he has a good arm, he's tall, and he can move around pretty good," Knox said of the quarterback his team traded a first-round pick for. Mind you, thats without an offensive line. WebLegendary fumbling quarterback Dave Krieg third on the all-time list with 153 was rumored to have teeny hands. You and every Seahawks fan over the age of 40. "Dave has a lot of vision on the field," Largent said in a Miami Herald feature during the 1983 playoffs. But then I looked up Steve DeBerg's stats, and it turns out his Kansas City years were pretty damn good: 3 straight top-10 passing DVOA finishes for a perennial playoff contender. At that point, head coach Chuck Knox named Krieg the Seahawks' new starting quarterback. Were supposed to forgetor even simply sidelinethoughts of how accurate of a passer a person is or how well they do under pressure. In reply to We're talking about this in by Mike Tanier. He was quite possibly the greatest "trick-or-treat" QB in NFL history. Perhaps due to this increased competition, Krieg's consistency increased further in 1988. Our final Legends of DVOA installment looks at the two-decade career of Dave Krieg, a After breaking his thumb in the season opener, Krieg missed six games in 1991. He appeared in two other games, going 3-of-3 for 57 yards in relief during a 44-14 blowout of Cincinnati and going 1-of-2 for 3 yards in a loss to the Jets. WebSmall hands.. the anti Russell hands. "When you get a good horse, you just grab the reins and hang on.". That said, any mention of Kreig will always bring two plays of his to mind: In reply to As someone who started by dmb. The Seahawks went 12-4 and avenged themselves against the Raiders in the playoffs but got hammered by Marino's Dolphins in the divisional round. Tiny hands! My favorite Kelly Stouffer statline is from 1991. In the 1991 NFL Draft, the Seahawks used their first round pick on another quarterback of the future, Dan McGwire. However, even Krieg's good games rarely resulted in Cardinals victories. See Photos. Without a strong supporting cast, Krieg turned in another inconsistent year. [7], By the middle of the 1981 season, Krieg overtook Sam Adkins on the depth chart to become the Seahawks' second-string quarterback. After hovering around .500 forever for Knox and playing for Schottenheimer and Ryan, Krieg was destined to end up with Fisher. Many years later, Lions tackle Lomas Brown admitted that he got "gator arms" on the guy he was blocking because he was wanted Mitchell out of the game. In the spring of 1989, Krieg competed in NBC's prestigious Superstars competition, a series of physical challenges pitting athletes from various sports against one another. He passed away in 2018. And Favres hands are a semi-gigantic 1013 inches from thumb to pinkie. The Seahawks went 4-3 down the stretch, though Zorn had less to do with their success than a strong defense led by Kenny Easley and Jacob Green, and perhaps the fact that the players no longer despised their coach and vice-versa. Fitzpatrick has never led a team to the playoffs; Krieg did it six times. "[36], Later that month, the Jacksonville Jaguars knocked McNair out of a game, but Krieg's comeback effort failed. At least the Seahawks suckered the Bears into giving up a first round pick for him! [8] In his first NFL start against the New York Jets on December 6, Krieg ran for one touchdown and threw for two others, including a 57-yard game-winning completion to Steve Largent. "With a three-day growth of beard and hair that hung almost to his collar, [Krieg] hardly looked like the hero type," wrote columnist Bob Smizik, bringing some heavy get-off-my-lawn energy to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. More posts you may like. Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan. There are so many good bad stats from this team, but my personal favorite is that they never topped 17 points on the season and had a six-game stretch in which they scored 22 points total! Krieg proceeded to lead the Seahawks to another playoff appearance, but Krieg's performance failed to prevent a narrow loss on the road in the first round against the Houston Oilers. Krieg threw 32 touchdown passes, earned a Pro Bowl berth behind Marino, and finished seventh in DVOA and eighth in DYAR despite a league-high 24 interceptions. In reply to I remember when 44 year old by vrao81. Viewers of Dave Krieg, also viewed Joe Montana (66) American football player John Elway (62) "Dave Krieg is making a big move at Jim Zorn. See Photos. 1996. WebKrieg said he never suffered the same injury as Wilson dislocated and torn tendons and two small fractures in his middle finger. This logic certainly has some merit. That decision helped doom the Seahawks to several seasons of misery and mediocrity under a succession of uninspired quarterbacks. I remember Kelly Stouffer as part of the terrible trio who quarterbacked the '92 Seahawks. Krieg backed up Zorn and Sam Adkins as an undrafted rookie. Once he became a starter, he was never not above average, usually well above average, except in a year where he couldn't get to 200 attempts due to injury.