51:12; 66:13; 2 Cor. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. For (J)we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you. Doing good to others will do none to us, if it be not done from love to God, and good-will to men. Start for FREE. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select an Ending Point For more information about the New King James Version, the Quotation Policy, and for inquiries about permission to use the New King James Version, go to http://www.nelsonbibles.com. Access 50+ premium resources. 13:11; Eph. (R)Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love (S)and peace will be with you. I may understand all the secret things of God and have all knowledge, and I may have faith so great I can move mountains. 9(K)For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one bodywhether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or freeand have all been made to drink into one Spirit. By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established.. BEST VALUE in digital Bible study. A verification email has been sent to the address you provided. Become complete. 2 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the [ a]testimony of God. 4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up. Hope fastens on future happiness, and waits for that; but in heaven, faith will be swallowed up in actual sight, and hope in enjoyment. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation. 3:10], NKJV, The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, NKJV, Abide Bible, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, The American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America, NKJV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NKJV, Spirit-Filled Life Bible, Third Edition, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Kingdom Equipping Through the Power of the Word. Save 15% on BibleGateway+ for a limited time! Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. 4:10 when we are weak and you are strong. New International Version, Used by permission. Translations available: There is no room to believe and hope, when we see and enjoy. Our website uses cookies to store user preferences. Historical Books 3:18; 5:7); Phil. New King James Version (NKJV). All things are dark and confused now, compared with what they will be hereafter. If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at privacy@biblegateway.com. Cookie Notice: Thank you for registering. 4:8-16 ) seen as he is, and face to face, there charity is in its greatest height; there only will it be perfected. 1 Corinthians 2:10-13 New Living Translation (NLT) 10 But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. Legacy Standard Bible 2021, Westminster Leningrad Codex, Scripture taken from the New King James Version. 12 And we . 14(U)The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and (V)the [d]communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. - Universal Beginnings (Chuck Missler). Explain verse, Mt 7:22 1 Co 12:810 1 Co 12:28 1 Co 14:1. Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours: 6:9 we may seem disqualified. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 18:10; [1 John 3:2], NKJV, The American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America. 3:10; Col. 1:24 the . His authorship was attested by Clement of Rome as early as a.d. 96, and today practically all NT interpreters concur. 5Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Used by permission. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 13And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. 8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. Matt. New American Standard Bible 1995, You may unsubscribe from Bible Gateways emails at any time. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body [ a]to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. 6However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. We use the words of the Spirit to teach the truths of the Spirit. The apostle prefers it to gifts, by which it appears to be the more excellent way, he speaks of in the latter part of the preceding chapter: he begins with the gift of tongues, which without charity makes a man noisy, but not spiritual, 1Co 13:1 he next mentions the gifts of knowledge of the mysteries of the Gospel, and of preaching them; and also the gift of working miracles, on the account of which a man thinks himself something, and yet with all these, not having the grace of love, he is nothing, 1Co 13:2 to which he adds alms deeds and martyrdom, and observes, that a man may do the one in the most extensive manner, and suffer the other in the most dreadful shape; and yet if love be wanting, from whence, as a principle, all actions and sufferings should flow, these will be of no avail, 1Co 13:3 and then the apostle proceeds to describe and commend this grace, by its effects and properties, and that in sixteen particulars; by which it appears to be exceeding useful, and what adorns and recommends the person possessed of it, 1Co 13:4-8 and enlarges upon the last, namely, the duration and perpetuity of it; showing that the gifts of knowledge, speaking with tongues, and preaching, shall fail, but this will not, 1Co 13:8 the failure of these gifts he proves from the imperfection of them, which therefore must be removed in a perfect state of things, 1Co 13:9,10 this he illustrates, by comparing the present imperfect state to childhood, and the future one to manhood, which he exemplifies in himself, 1Co 13:11 the imperfect knowledge of the one he compares to looking at objects through a glass, and to an enigma, riddle, or dark saying; and the perfect knowledge of the other, to seeing face to face, without any artificial help, 1Co 13:12 and he concludes this excellent commendation of charity by observing, that it is not only preferable to gifts, but even to graces, and these the more eminent, and which are abiding graces too, as faith and hope; and yet charity exceeds these, both as to its duration and use, 1Co 13:13. Johannine Writings King James Version (KJV). 12:8; Matt. 1 Corinthians 13:2 In-Context. What narrow views, what confused notions of things, have children when compared with grown men! 1 Corinthians 2 :: New King James Version (NKJV) Christ Crucified. 16For (O)who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him? (P)But we have the mind of Christ. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of Gods secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didnt love others, I would be nothing. 18:16; John 8:17; Heb. (L)Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. But if I dont have love, I am nothing. 2For I determined not to know anything among you (A)except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Deepen your knowledge of Scripture for less than $5/mo. 10:28, 1 Cor. 1:12; Eph. 10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 1:3; 1 Pet. 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not a charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. Any other use of the NKJV must be in conformity with the Quotation Policy for the New King James Version. Email / username or password was incorrect! 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select an Ending Point 18:16; John 8:17; Heb. VERSE 1 Corinthians 13:13 "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." King James Version (KJV) < Previous Verse Next Verse > View Chapter 1 Corinthians 13:13 Context 17:6; 19:15; Matt. General Epistles Minor Prophets Verses 1-3 The excellent way had in view in the close of the former chapter, is not what is meant by charity in our common use of the word, almsgiving, but love in its fullest meaning; true love to God and man. Read full chapter. Num. Choose the bible topic you want to study . By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. 4:12; (1 Thess. 9For we are glad (N)when we are weak and you are strong. Historical Books Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. Pauline Epistles Greeting. 10:12; 17:9; 1 Thess. 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any [a] trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. Verses 4-7 Some of the effects of charity are stated, that we may know whether we have this grace; and that if we have not, we may not rest till we have it. Individual instructors or editors may still require the use of URLs. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! Suppose I can understand all the secret things of God and know everything about him. Poetical Books Blue Letter Bible offers several daily devotional readings in order to help you refocus on Christ and the Gospel of His peace and righteousness. 3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. Pentateuch From its longer continuance. 12For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. For more information on this translation, see the NKJV Preface. NKJV, Ancient-Modern Bible, Comfort Print: One faith. The Old Testament Start for FREE. get to know the Bible better! General Epistles 3:12; James 1:23, Gen. 32:30; Num. 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who # Is. 14(N)But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. Tools 1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. 2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. Prophets Salem Media Group. The Gospels 1Co 13:2. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Use semicolons to separate groups: 'Gen;Jdg;Psa-Mal' or 'Rom 3-12;Mat 1:15;Mat 5:12-22', * 'Number Delimiters' only apply to 'Paragraph Order', There are options set in 'Advanced Options', The Whole Bible Greeting. Tools. Num. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point Christian Standard Bible, For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God's deep secrets. 17:20; 21:21; Mark 11:23; Luke 17:6, 1 Corinthians 13:2 in all English translations, NKJV, The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, NKJV Study Bible, Full-Color, Comfort Print: The Complete Resource for Studying Gods Word, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Woman's Study Bible, Red Letter, Full-Color: Receiving God's Truth for Balance, Hope, and Transformation, NKJV, Abide Bible, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version. Bible > 1 Corinthians > Chapter 13 > Verse 2 1 Corinthians 13:2 Verse (Click for Chapter) King James Bible Tongues are good, prophecy and knowledge and faith are good, sacrifice is good. of Minor Prophets 14 For in fact the body is . Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Enter code SPRINGSTUDY15 and have answers to your Bible questions at your fingertips. How are those deluded who look for acceptance and reward for their good works, which are as scanty and defective as they are corrupt and selfish! Save 15% on BibleGateway+ with code SPRINGSTUDY15. But love is so valuable, so important, that apart from it, every other good thing is useless. Let us ask whether this Divine love dwells in our hearts. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at privacy@biblegateway.com. 2If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of Gods secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didnt love others, I would be nothing. Morphological Greek New Testament, and Matt. Used by permission. Has this principle guided us into becoming behaviour to all men? 1 Corinthians 13:2 - NIV And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. The Whole Bible 1:10; 2 Cor. 10(P)Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the (Q)authority which the Lord has given me for edification and not for destruction. They can only be seen as by the reflection in a mirror, or in the description of a riddle; but hereafter our knowledge will be free from all obscurity and error. 13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these . Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point Handed down. Do We See Any Gospel Connections in the Book of Numbers? Spiritual Gifts at Corinth KJV, The King James Study Bible, Red Letter, Full-Color Edition: KJV Holy Bible, KJV, Reference Bible, Personal Size Giant Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print, KJV, Journal the Word Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition: Reflect, Journal, or Create Art Next to Your Favorite Verses, KJV, Gift and Award Bible, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, Word Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: 1,700 Key Words that Unlock the Meaning of the Bible, KJV, Deluxe Reference Bible, Super Giant Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print. 2And if I have the gift of prophecy and I know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so that I can remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. New King James Version (NKJV). Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. The New Testament All rights reserved. Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. 3(B)I was with you (C)in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 5:14; (1 Pet. 1 Corinthians 2:13 New King James Version 13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the [ a]Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. Prophets 5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our [b] consolation also Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Verses 8-13 Charity is much to be preferred to the gifts on which the Corinthians prided themselves. You can copy the order of your preferred Bible translations from the Bibles Tab to the Version Picker (this popup) or vice versa. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson. does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Used by permission. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. Suppose I have the gift of prophecy. 3:10) that you may be made . NKJV 1 Corinthians 13 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. Not that charity destroys all regard to ourselves, or that the charitable man should neglect himself and all his interests. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (B)By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established. 2(C)I have told you before, and foretell as if I were present the second time, and now being absent [a]I write to those (D)who have sinned before, and to all the rest, that if I come again (E)I will not spare 3since you seek a proof of Christ (F)speaking in me, who is not weak toward you, but mighty (G)in you. But charity never seeks its own to the hurt of others, or to neglect others. Johannine Writings All rights reserved. 2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 8 For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth. 4:8). 1 Corinthians Author and Date. Amen. Blessed state! I may even have enough faith to move mountains. You may unsubscribe from Bible Gateways emails at any time. 9 For we are glad # 1 Cor. Used by permission. 3 And though I bestow all my 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 1 Corinthians 13 Chapter 13 Paul discusses the high status of charityCharity, a pure love, excels and exceeds almost all else. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! (1-3) Its excellency represented by its properties and effects; (4-7) and by its abiding, and its superiority. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 10But (J)God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. 7:6, 7, 13 comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. It ever prefers the welfare of others to its private advantage. Historical Books 12(T)Greet one another with a holy kiss. It means: (1) In a general sense, love, benevolence, good-will; (2) In theology, it includes supreme love to God and universal good-will to mankind; (3) In a more particular sense, it denotes the love and kindness which springs from the natural relations, as the "charities" of father, son, brother; 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. Used by permission. 4:10; Phil. BEST VALUE in digital Bible study. Error: Passwords should have at least 6 characters, Error: Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. Handed down. To sum up the excellences of charity, it is preferred not only to gifts, but to other graces, to faith and hope. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.